9 x 19mm Sectional Diagrams, Ruag

Some nice diagrams of Ruag special purpose 9 x 19mm cartridges (2012).

Untitled%20a3

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Untitled%20b3

Brian

2 Likes

Great drawings! Many thanks.

I do not recall ever seeing a “RUAG” headstamp on a 9x19mm round.

Has anyone out there seen a “RUAG” headstamp???

Cheers,
Lew

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps it is just “artistic license”, a subtle form of advertising of the corporate identity by Ruag.

Brian

I think those headstamps are just computer graphics for their promo print & onine material. I cant imagine their being enough room to headstamp out RUAG 9x19 FRANGIBLE CM SXetc… on a 9mm case.

I agree that you are both probably right. I always ask the question because sometimes my “assumption” is wrong—surprise!—surprise!

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, While I totally agree that the headstamp styles shown with these great drawings are simply for the purpose of the chart and almost certainly don’t actually exist on cartridges, there is a RUAG headstamp on 7.65 mm Parabellum, so it seems likely to me that one either exists, or will exist, on 9 mm Para.

Just a thought. I have NOT seen RUAG on 9 mm yet.

Oops, they made a nasty mistake. The Action 3 is actually an Action Effect, and the Action Effect is an Action 3 !!

Or did they just get the headstamps switched?

No, the headstamps are okay, just the accompanying texts have been switched.
Rather sloppy of RUAG.

This series of cartridges was first introduced under the Geco name, with a bronze-color plastic tip, as the Action-Geschoss, c. 1981. While with Geco headstamps, the lots numbers, represented in my box collection with lots 2 and 3 of 1981, were under the DAG initials (example “LOS DAG 3/81.” DAG is Dynamit A.-G., who at the time owned Geco. This load was first sold in the USA by Check-Mate Arms Co. Inc., of Oak View, California, under the name of “Blitz Action Trauma (BAT) although the box also refers to it as Action/Safety 5.4 Gram…” It seems that this bullet, or a similar one was later sold, still with a Geco headstamp, by RUAG Ammoec GmbH, or Fürth, Germany, by RUAG USA.

During its existence, there were variations with various colors of plastic tip, beginning with a Bronze color for the Action-Geschoss, BAT and Action 1 loadings. Others were Action 3, with green tip, which also seems to have been sold as “Action Effect” - in the chart above the bullets look to be of identical construction, but it is a small chart on screen with little tech information, so that assumption on my part could be wrong; Action 4 with yellow Tip and Action 5 with black tip. There is also a cream-color tip which was, I think, only done in prototype and might (please note, I said might, as I am not sure) be the Action 2, for which I have never seen literature or a box label. There are also rounds with blue tips and with orange tips, but I am not sure of their correct designations.

More of these rounds, likely made for the Dutch Police, are found with DAG headstamps than with Geco markings.

There may be others I have missed. I do not have a great collection of these.

John Moss

The obviously missing Action 2 was a development in response of the German politician’s view that Action 1 would inflict too much harm on gangsters trying to kill police officers. So Action 2 was developed, which did not expand beyond its diameter, compared to the about 1.3 calibers (in gelatine) of Action 1. But it was also rejected by the politicians and never marketed.

1 Like

thank you Peelen. I knew it was not serially produced, but didn’t know why!

You are always there with great info!

John

As a matter of fact, I owe my information regarding Action 2 mostly to Jürgen Knappworst, long retired from Dynamit Nobel, who recently published an article in Deutsches Waffen-Journal about police-specific ammunition in Germany.

John, could it be you missed the Action 6. :-)

zzzzz

Well, Dutch, you can’t have them all I guess. Yes, I didn’t even know about the Action 6. What color is the plastic tip?

John M.

John, I don’t know.
I only have this Pic. in my files.

Rgds

The colour of the plastic tip is magenta, like the “together ahead” in the RUAG logo.

Chris

Action 1 (BAT) was in 2 versions, with or without a hole in the plastic tip. There has been a Action 2 but these are extremely rare. There is outside or inside no way to see the difference between a Action 1 of 2. Only a very, very small difference in weight.
Action 3 and Action Effect are totally different cartridges, Action 3 had a green plastic tip, and is more or less simular to A1 (and 2). When a A1 has been fired, the green tip is blown of the projectile (can be found on the shooting-range) and the projectile is a real hollow point at that time. AE has a green plastic tip, witch stays in the projectile while firing. A4 and A5 are more or less the same as the AE, the cavity of the inside, behind the plastic is a little different. The Dutch (and only Dutch) NP has a orange tip and is also more or less the same as AE, but the deformation is a little higher, more than 9 mm. The Dutch gouvernment (and the police!) wanted stopping power, but politicians wanted also no harm for the suspect (typically Dutch politics). There has been a few lots of NP cartridges with grey tips, that was during a discussion about gadolinium-oxide in the orange plastic versions. They are scarse now. There are rumors about bleu tipped Actions, but no one have ever seen one. Beside that all, there are some versions A1 and A3 with experimental colours, colorless, white, yellow etc.

Left A3, middle AE, right NP

The gray tipped ones, where for INDOOR Shooting/Training, without the Forensis primer compostion, which contained the Gadolinum, speculated as a harm for “mens” health in Reproduction and Fertility issues…
The blue Tipped Action was tought as ÜBUNG, this here (6,1 Gramm with a small hole in the plasticfront:)
06%2C10%20Gr%20Ueb%20A%20blue%20tip%20with%20small%20hole

In an old MTB was a question from Mr deHeer about that. I Show a excerpt.
The Action Üb A was never adopted,
the socalled Üb V is todays Üb_Patrone in a little bit different form to avoid bulletproof-vests Penetration…

And here a drawing of Action 2 :
action2-jpg

Peter

1 Like

To be specific: The Action 2 and 3 were exclusively developed for the Netherlands Police around 1982/1983.
DAG offered two versions of a political correct Action 1: It were the Action Form 2 and the Action Form 3.
A2 was made of copper and A3 was made of brass. Construction etc. were identical, as were the wound ballistic effects. Because A3 was slightly cheaper the Dutch police chose the A3 instead of the A2.

Of course many experimental versions of the A3 do do exist.!

Here is my box label of the A2 cartridge (Loodvrij = Lead free):
Action%202%20Form%202%20label