90mm Shell Case

• I have a 1953 inert, empty 90mm rimmed, bottle-necked brass shell case which is 602mm [23 11/16 inch] tall. The impressed headstamp markings are: “90MM M19” over “1953”; below the primer is stamped [inverted]: “WFD-2-33”. The primer has these markings: “LS-81-11”, “M28B2” and “10-62”. —> QUESTIONS: A] Which type of gun used this 90X602R round??? B] Which manufacturer made this 90X602R brass shell case and the primer??? Thanks in advance for any help, Liviu 12/14/07 P.S. I’ll ask somebody to post here my picture showing the headstamp markings.

The 90x600R is listed in the Ammo Data Tables on my website as being the standard ammo for the US WW2 AA gun, plus subsequently anti-tank and tank guns.

Liviu’s photo

Hi Liviu,
The case is for the 90mm Guns M36 , M41 and M54. This was stencilled on the base.
The primer M28B2 gives you some information about the projectile used.
This could be Smoke , cartridge M313 or M313 C,
or HE-T , cartridge M71 or M71A1.
Source : TM 43-0001-28
Regards Rien.

The gun designations given above are correct, but most people will more easily recognize the vehicles which used them.

The 90mm cannons M36 and M41 were mounted in the M46, M47 and M48-M48A3 series tanks and the M54 cannon on the nifty M56

• @ John S.: My wife NEVER complains about my hobby! I didn’t want to have “surprises” later so I made sure she likes my hobby before to get married. She would like to have a big caliber gun or a tank too but unfortunately we have no room for something like this. I also collect certain types of bayonets and other militaria items. —> Thanks to all of you for the answers from above. I hope somebody knows the manufacturer which made the 90mm shell case I have. Liviu 12/15/07

This is an add-on to Liviu’s question. I just got a wasted 90mm M19 with following on the headstamp: ECBC 78, 1944, and a small round thingy like US ordnance but very fuzzy, primer: kop-4-54 m28 A2 - 1943.
Questions

1. What kind of projectile (i.e AA.chemical etc.) did this fire?
  2. I paid $20 at a garage sale. Is it good? It is in a mint condition.
  3. The primer is not indented. Was it fired electrically?
  4. Suggestion. Many (including me) ask what the price of ammo is. That depends on location, even different parts of the same country. If we all post the price, then everyone around the world will know approximate value.
  5. How do I scan this thing without crushing scanner’s glass? It is heavy.

[quote=“sksvlad”]This is an add-on to Liviu’s question. I just got a wasted 90mm M19 with following on the headstamp: ECBC 78, 1944, and a small round thingy like US ordnance but very fuzzy, primer: kop-4-54 m28 A2 - 1943.
Questions

1. What kind of projectile (i.e AA.chemical etc.) did this fire?
  2. I paid $20 at a garage sale. Is it good? It is in a mint condition.
  3. The primer is not indented. Was it fired electrically?
  4. Suggestion. Many (including me) ask what the price of ammo is. That depends on location, even different parts of the same country. If we all post the price, then everyone around the world will know approximate value.
  5. How do I scan this thing without crushing scanner’s glass? It is heavy.[/quote]

Sksvlad.

Do the scan the other way up, stand the case up on its mouth and carefully lay the scanner onto the upturned base of the cartridge case. It has worked for me.

gravelbelly

Here it is, I held it in the air just above the glass. Question; when I cleaned it with silicone spray, a bunch of black letters and numbers showed up, but then went away. Water did not bring those markings up. What makes those markings stay?

One more question, sorry for fuzzy photo: what is the purpose of double rim?