9mm ammo - Headstamp F N *

In going through all this stuff, I just found a box of 9mm. It’s in a Remington .38 spl box and has magic marker saying “9mm corrosive”. I’ve got 9s but I don’t shoot corrosive through them. Overall, I think I’m going to inert them and trash them.

It has a silver colored bullet, brass case, silver primer. Appears to be red sealant around casemouth at bullet joint and around the primer as well. Headstamp is F N * but one is F N 50.

Does anyone know the source of this ammo and perhaps a rough date of manufacture?

I’m going to take a wild guess and say it’s Fabrique Nationale 1950 in the one case. The star gives me no clue in the other.

Your two headstamps are both from Fabrique Nationale d’Armes de Guerre, Herstam-Liege, Belgium. The dated one is a military form and the undated one, with the “star” in the headstamp is their commercial form of headstamp (not that it couldn’t have been supplied as well to foreign military or police contracts, but normally speaking, it is commercial).

It is hard to date the commercial headstamp, but the letters are the modern type without serifs, and the context could well indicate they are contemporary to the dated cartridges.

Thanks!

I agree with John that the F N * cartridge is probably dated 1950. The letter style on the F N * is the same as the F N 50 and the same style used in the late 1940s and early 1950s. In the mid 1950s and later the F N were much thinner letters, on both the dated rounds and the F N * commercial rounds.

Cute. It is a shame the original box is missing.