9mm Boxes from Uruguay

Posted on behalf of John Moss.

[quote]The two boxes pictured are for 9 mm Parabellum in use with police and military in República Occidental de Uruguay, South America. The ammunition in both instances is made by Prvi Partizan, of Serbia. One box is for the Uruguayan Police, and has what I interprete to be a Solid or Short Jacket Soft Point bullet of 8.4 grams (130 grains). The label translates into English as “50 Cartridges, 9 mm Parabellum, SJSP 8.4 grams (130 grains). Produced by PPU - Serbia to the specifications of the Ministry of Interior of Uruguay. Lot No. 01 of the Year 2013.” I am not familiar with the particular usage of the word “necesidades”
(necessities) and have made what I feel is the best translation into common English usage.
While I do not have either the cartridges nor pictures of the headstamps, the headstamp is PPU 11 9 x 19.

The other box is for the military. The word “Guerra” means only "War,"
but in context, I think it probably refers to the Ministerio de Guerra
(in English, “Ministry, or perhaps Minister of War.” (If that is not
correct, than I welcome any other interpretation from a native Spanish speaker (Fede?). The label translates, word for word, as "50 cartridges, WAR, 9 x 19 mm Full Metal Jacket 8 grams (124 grains), Lot No. 1 of the year 2013. Again, I can only report the headstamp typed on line, which is PPU 9mmP L 01-13 UY.

These are actually the first two Uruguayan Contract boxes for pistol ammunition I have ever seen. I thought they were worthy of publication here, as I have never seen any mention of these boxes or headstamps before, anywhere. Both boxes seem to have a mixture of Spanish language and English abbreviations, in the bullet type designation. A full-metal jacket bullet in Spanish is usually “bala encamisada,” but the military box shows “FMJ” for “full metal jacket” in English. The police box shows “SJSP” which I believe means “short” or “solid” jacket soft point in English.
Not important but interesting.

There was also a commercial Magtech box from Brazil, which I did not bother to photograph, since I have seen the 9 mm box, which the one I got is, in American ads, although mine came from Uruguay. The headstamp on the cartridges, typed on line, is - 9mm - CBC - PU -, a style I have not seen before from Magtech/CBC of Brazil. It is reported to be in use by official government agencies, perhaps the Police. The box is the newest style Magtech, all blue with primarily white print.
[/quote]

John, thank you for sharing these images with us and thanks to Lew for posting them!
I assume “Guerra” (war or combat) stands here for “life” ammo (like it is/was used in some other languages with the respective vocabulary).
The term “necesidades” should mean “requirements” or “specifications”.

For sure Fede will enlighten us.

EOD - I agree with you on the use here of the word “necesidades” in this case. As often said here, you cannot really translate one language into another precisely word for word by what may be thought, or found to be in a dictionary its only meaning. There are always nuances in any language, and it is always best to simply read the language given, if able, and then think about what it would mean in the language you want to translate it to. Although I chose “specifications,” if anything, as you suggest, “requirements” would likely have been a better choice.

As far as I can find out, “Guerra” in Spanish means “War” and that’s pretty much it. I guess you could stretch this to mean Combat or Military Ammunition in context. I also felt it might relate to the Ministerio de la Guerra as the responsible procurement agency.

I was excited to get these boxes, I admit. As I mentioned, I had never seen any box relating in any way to the Uruguayan use of pistol or submachine guns.

John, great pictures and information, thank you very much.

In my opinion in the first box the word Guerra (War) stands for the cartridge type and in this context would be equivalent to “Ball”. Since 1933, the government department that regulates the armed forces is not longer called Ministerio de Guerra (Ministry of War) but Ministerio de Defensa Nacional (MDN).

The lower text on the second box would be translated as: “Produced at PPU - Serbia to the requirements of the Ministry of Interior of Uruguay” (this is the deapartment that regulates the National Police). It contains three odd grammatical mistakes in its Spanish form, because the correct way should be: “…necesidades del Ministerio del Interior del Uruguay” and not “…necesidades de Ministerio de Interior de Uruguay”. It seems likely that the translation was made at Serbia.

Regarding the SJSP abbreviature, according to Prvi Partizan it stands for “Semi Jacket Soft Point”.

As a final minor correction, the full name of Uruguay is “República Oriental del Uruguay” (Eastern Republic of Uruguay). Its name is derived from the fact that it used to be the eastern province of the Spanish Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata.

Regards,

Fede

Fede - Thank you. The farther I get from my opportunities to use the Spanish Language (daily, when I was working at the gun shop), the poorer my Spanish becomes. I am sorry for my errors in language use, and hope it has not offended any of out native Spanish-speaking members. Even I don’t know how I got “Occidental” into the picture, instead of “Oriental,” since I new quite well the difference and which was correct. Senility is my only excuse.

I am going to edit my entry to avoid confusion. Again, thanks for “riding to the rescue.” Oops, I just remembered that I did not actually make the posting - Lew did it for me - so I cannot edit it. Well, your great reply says it all anyway.