9mm etc ID assistance

Like everyone I have a few side hustles - new ordnance doesn’t pay for itself. Among these I occasionally pick up large quantities of loose ammunition, which I filter through, sort and then make a final disposition - scrap, stockpile, etc. The best part of this is the sorting process, as the ammo comes from all over the State, and in every group “treasures” are buried within, just waiting to be dug out. Unfortunately many of the treasures I cannot tell from the junk, and so I could occasionally use some assistance before I destroy or pass off some thing interesting.

I nearly always pull out a few rimfires (.32 to 56-50) and have found titfire, lipfire, explosive rounds, a few military experimentals - you get the idea. Of course the overwhelming majority are common pieces, mixed in with large quantities of reloads, corroded items etc.

From the latest batch I have a few questions. They are likely reloads, but the quality is pretty good and I thought it might be worth asking if they have been seen before.

The first is a 9mm, case is marked 9mm Luger +P R-P. the primer is marked with an H F. The projectile is a gold colored hollowpoint, and appears to have a metal disk internal to the hollow point.

The second is either toy ammo, a commemorative, etc. It appears to be a shortened .38 SPL case, with a long hard rubber HP bullet. It has a headstamp marked "Bear River. Does anyone have any info on it?

hello
the second look like an airsoft adaptator used in replica like “dan wesson” airsoft revolver and likely other models

1 - Remington Disintegrator 9mm Luger+P 101 gr Jacketed Frangible

2 - Bear River Outdoors CO2 BB/Pellet revolver .177 cal.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Keep in mind that most of these rounds, unless grouped, may or may not have anything to do with each other. These batches that I receive may come from over a hundred different original sources, so the interesting pieces may come from one location, or a dozen different ones.

The second items are a group of 5 different rounds, each of the rounds found in multiples (3-8). There are .45, .40, two bullet types of 9mm and .380. The 45 is a cut-down .45 Win mag case. Each of the multiples have identical cases. The projectiles appear to be filled with small shot, covered with a translucent red sealant. Similar in principle to a Glaser, but larger shot size. One of the Glaser rip-offs, or a reload?

I see a number of the Cor-Bon plastic white tips with the Cor-Bon headstamp, are these a version of the Cor-Bon Glaser, or something else? I am also running into other similar rounds, but without the headstamp - typically R-P or Win cases. White tips, yellow/white tips, gray tips and marbled gray tips. Any info is welcome.

The final round that I have questions on (for now) is a 9mm on a Win case. The projectile is a short (chopped?) large diameter scalloped hollowpoint, containing BB sized shot under a dome shaped translucent amber seal. Slightly reminiscent of the 9mm Israeli “Sky-marshal” rounds. Anything?

Thanks Fede, excellent.

MagSafe

Thanks Pepper, can you elaborate a little? Any pictures? I did a search and got a number of hits, but all of the pictures are gone and the links are shot, which makes it hard to relate -

The plastic ball tipped rounds look like Cor-Bon’s PowRBall.

I have a zillion with all their wacky names. Out of town tonight. Glad to help. Likely have brochures too

Thanks for the flyer page. Agreed that some are similar, my gray ones seem to be of a different ball/tip material though. Has Cor-Bon always used their own headstamp, or did they start with buying primed brass?

As Pepper stated, the “filled” hollow points are all MagSafe ammo. These hand-made bullets are virtually empty jackets filled with either lead or hardened steel shot (“Agent” rounds) and sealed with an epoxy-type glue. The epoxy will shatter on impact, freeing the shot to expand inside the target. Another version was made with NO shot… just a harder black epoxy filling, which also shattered on impact (I recall these being called SWAT loads, but maybe wrong).

MagSafe produced a number of different rounds, both calibers and weights/types of fillings. All their ammo was light for caliber and VERY fast. The .45 ACP round you have is typical of their hottest loads in which they used shortened Win Mag cases for the higher pressures. See it that one has steel filling (test with magnet) - I bet it does.

Of all the boutique ammo, this is the only one I tested that I actually carried… and still do to this day in certain guns. The terminal affects are devastating. I once shot a poachers’ dog (vicious thing on a private hunting ranch) with one at 15 yards or so… the exit wound was big enough to fit a 2-Liter Coke bottle into.

I bought most all my MagSafe ammo in the early 1980s to mid-90s. I heard that the inventor/owner passed away some years back. A quick internet search didn’t turn up the company, only resellers with old stock. I still have a good bit of inventory, some in original blister packs; it is my carry ammo in .45 ACP, .380 ACP, .39 Special, and 9mm - right this minute.

1 Like

The owner and founder of MAGSAFE AMMUITION was Joe Zambone. He was killed on his motorcycle in a highway accident in New Zealand, I assume while on vacation there. He was a very nice guy, and believed in his product. After his death a firm in Florida bought the company and continued to produce. I have not heard of them in some time, and assume they eventually went out of business, although I don’t know that for a fact.

John Moss

Sorry, not sure about the answer to the brass question, but will do a bit of checking. Having an interest in terminal ballistics, I did note that there appears to be a difference in the skiving (jacket slits) on the four Pow’RBall rounds you show. On the right the skives are placed mid-ogive, second from right the skives start from the leading edge of the jacket, and the other two rounds the skives are either very feint or non existent… so maybe you have a series of rounds that show developmental progression in the jacket design?

Go to the new thread I created for “MagSafe”…a tad overwhelming…best wishes sorting it out

The names: loads; colors were like a TV game show

I like “colors”…thus I have the proverbial “zillion” load examples

Thanks!

Cor-Bon absorbed Glaser about 4~5 years ago, and- unfortunately- discontinued several Glaser products. and at the same time eliminated the 6 round pack and sold the Glaser rounds in 20 round boxes.
I cannot swear to it, but I sort of remember they also absorbed Magsafe about the same time, and their total production almost ceased while they were consolidating factories and production lines.
We could not get Corbon OR Glaser for about 4 months during that time.

Badger,

A search of all information at hand failed to show any connection between Cor-Bon and MagSafe Ammo itself, or MagSafe Ammo Inc., of 4700 South Highway 17-92, Casselberry, Florida 32707, to whom Joe Zambone sold his company. The transfer of ownership was officially announced in a letter dated April 22, 1998, signed by both Joe and Khaled W. Akkawi, the new owner of the company. The last information I have from MagSafe Ammo, Inc., of Florida is a catalog from March 23, 2012.

A search of the internet found several websites for dealers still showing MagSafe ammunition products for sale, but in every instance, a look at their stock showed every single MagSafe loading as “Out of Stock” or “Backordered.” None of them had product on their shelves.

If anyone knows for sure whether MagSafe is still in business, or if not, when they ceased operations, please post that information here.

Regarding Cor-Bon and Glaser, Cor-Bon actually purchased the Glaser Safety Slug Company of California (Just south of San Francisco) in the year 2000, almost 20 years ago. Reference: Cor-Bon’s 25th Anniversary Catalog published in 2007, which contains a brief history of their associations.

Edited to correct typos only.

John Moss

2 Likes

Good info John,
Thanks!

Lew

BadgerJack and John, thanks for the new info. I decided to trawl through some brochures that I picked up at the 2003 Shot Show because I remembered Pow’RBall had featured as a ‘new product’ at the show. Please see below one of the flyers that I picked up at the time. It adds another twist to the ownership story, stating that Dakota Ammo Inc of Sturgis, SD was the manufacturer of CorBon, Glaser Safety Slug, & Pow’RBall products. It also says that the Pow’RBall was “developed by renowned bullet maker Peter R Pi”. When you compare this information to the recent flyer I posted above (from the internet), the Pow’RBall is now branded as a Glaser product as a sub branch of CorBon! Pete.

Pete - Thanks for the reminder on the Dakota Ammo, Inc. Don’t know the relationship there exactly, since both Cor-Bon and Dakota Ammo Inc. have the same address on Industry Road, in Sturgis. These days, you can’t tell the players without a program!

You are correct about later Cor-Bon catalogs treating the Pow’R Ball rounds like part of the Glaser operation, but I don’t know why. Their earlier catalogs didn’t especially do this, and the bullet has nothing much to do with Glaser. The cartridge was evidently designed and patented by Peter Pi, of Cor-Bon, after the acquisition of the Glaser Safety Slug company. Peter indicates in his 25th Anniversary catalog that he was awarded a patent for the bullet design in April of 2004. That was four years after the purchase of Glaser from Kurt Canon, the son of Jack Canon of Deadeye Associates, Opelousas, Louisiana who partnered in the development of the Glaser Safety Slug with Armen Glaser (hence the name “Glaser Safety Slug”} of Glaser Waffen, Zurich, Switzerland. While the purchase of the Glaser Safety Slug co., by then located in Foster City, California, near San Francisco, evidently took place in 2000, it was officially announced by Peter Pi of Cor-Bon Inc. and Kurt in a press release dated March 5, 2001. By then the product, still sold as Glaser Safety Slug ammunition, was coming from Sturgis, South Dakota.

While under Kurt Canon, who I personally knew, the offices were in Foster City, but the actual manufacturing facility was in the Oakland area across the Bay from Foster City.
That address was never publicized, for security reasons.

Edited to correct a misspelled word only.

John