9mm Ex round CWS

We had the first show this year in the Netherlands.

By checking some 9mm cartridges the magnet on my magnifying glass slicked on a cartridge.

It was a German 9mm CWS Ex round chrome plated. I did not know of his existence.

The head stamp is P Va2 Ex 38. Unfortunately, the cartridge is not in the best shape.

Rgds

Dutch, A difficult cartridge to find, even in this condition! The “Va2” gives it away as steel case, but I had never realized it was copper washed.

There is also a steel case 9mm P08 Ex with the same headstamp as brass case Ex rounds, “P Ex 39”. This variation has also been reported with 38 date, but I have no confirmation of this cartridge.

If any of you out there have “P Ex 39” or 38 rounds use a quite small magnetic to check the depression in the middle of the base. It is easy to make a mistake since the bullet jacket is extended and goes all the way down to the bottom of the inside of the case. I think these are very difficult items to find!

Cheers,
Lew

Possibly the copper plating was done for the chrome plating. Chrome sticks better on copper than on steel.

1 Like

Lew
I have one of these but undrilled with the stamp P EX 21
is there a difference with such a early round???
Sherryl

The addition of drilled holes came much later.

The decree to start adding 2 drilled holes offset at 90 degrees to new production of Ex Pist Patr 08 is dated 31st March 1938.
Source: Heeres-Verordnungsblatt 1938, part C, p. 92 item 286.

1 Like

Thanks Peelen
Sherryl

I fully agree!
The copper plating here has nothing to do with plating of normal cartridges.
The technological process for a propper chrome plating is to have the item first copper plated and then chrome plated.
In my view just a propper plating job.

Just for the record, the earliest one of these dummies I have encountered is the P EX 21. I have one with four holes in the case. My earliest undrilled one is P EX 22. My latest date undrilled on is P EX 37, which fits in with the 1938 date for the drilling of holes in new production, given us by Peelen, very well.

They actually went back and drilled the holes in dummy rounds 15 or 16 years after they were actually manufactured. Does anyone know if there was a recall of already issued 9 mm Exerzierpatronen for the purpose of drilling the holes, or was the retro-drilling of the holes of the pre-1938 dummies done only on unissued, warehouse stock?

At any rate, it was an incomplete after-action, as these dummies with no holes in the case, which not found as often as those with the four holes, are not particularly scarce. Many of them survived without being drilled.

John Moss

John, the decree I cited says in its last sentence “Die Ex. Pist. Patr. 08 der bisherigen Fertigung sind aufzubrauchen.” which means the existing Ex-cartridges will stay in use as long as serviceable. Aufbrauchen = to use up

Edit: I did not find any later decree regarding Ex-cartridges 08. Caveat: Heerestechnisches Verordnungsblatt not yet available to me.

1 Like

Sherryl,

Yours is one of the very early Polte 9, P08 Ex rounds. It will have a brass case and a steel jacket bullet that extends to the bottom of the case.

Cheers,
Lew

Peelen - thanks for that information. I thought it might be the case. They evidently did ordain that Ex.patr. of the type in question, already manufactured, have the holes added to the cartridge. Otherwise, we would not have samples of the very early dates with the four holes in the case. However, it must have been a policy somewhat ignored by some units as we also still have specimens of the pre-1938 dates without holes. If of interest, later I can list here on the forum the dates I have in these Ex.patr. without holes, and those with holes. While certainly incomplete, it is one of the few instances in 9 mm Para cartridges where I retain all dates in my collection. The variations were too confusing not to.

Edited to correct typos and clarify some statements.

John Moss

Lew
I screwed up a bit on that one I just took a look on the one shown with the
holes and meant I have the same without holes(nickel case) dummy
P EX 21 stamp.sorry
Sherryl