9mm Madsen Box-Metallverken Ammo

I recently obtained this box. I thought I’d seen it on the Forum but can’t find it.

The box contains cartridges produced by Metallverken in Sweden, probably in the mid to late 1950s or early 1960s (my guess).

The box is red like most commercial Metallverken boxes, but the only identification on it is “DANSK INDUSTRI SYNDIKAT, COMPAGNIE MADSEN, A/S” The label is in Spanish or perhaps Portuguese.

My guess is that some Spanish (or Portuguese) speaking country ordered Madsen machine pistols and the ammunition to go with them, and Madsen subcontracted the ammunition from Metallverken.

Can anyone identify who this ammunition was made for and when???

I suspect the language is Spanish since I think Brazil (which uses Portuguese) was, I think, making their own Madsen MPs. Can anyone confirm that this label is in Spanish???

Cheers,
Lew

New (to me) Metallverken 9mm Box-Who is "WAC"?

Lew,

You were right, here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8339

Your pictures above provide good close-ups.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I guess the URL you posted is the thread I was remembering. I thought it also had my box pictured, but apparently not. It does show how similar my box is to the other Metallverken boxes. Appreciate you finding it.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, I don’t have documentation to support it, but I believe that this box was made for Chile when they bought their Madsen M53 submachine guns (in service until replaced by Brazilian Taurus MT12 and other models). The language in the box is ambiguous, but I would rule out Portuguese because Brazil adopted the .45 Auto for their license made INA953.

For what is worth, I have seen an empty box in an Argentine collection and I also know that examples of cartridges with this headstamp have been found in Chile.

Regards,

Fede

[quote=“Lew”]I recently obtained this box. I thought I’d seen it on the Forum but can’t find it.

The box contains cartridges produced by Metallverken in Sweden, probably in the mid to late 1950s or early 1960s (my guess).
Cheers,
Lew[/quote]

Lew, not that it helps much in regard to 9x19 but I just saw a military box of 9mm Browning Long dummies with “Metallverken” hs and the lot on the box was from 1969.
Anybody out there wo has a later confirmed date for the use of “Metallverken” hs?

“Cartuchos” is Spanish (Both Castilian and Latin American)

“Cartuchoes” is Portuguese (Portugal & Brazil).

Very little (But significant) difference.

Doc AV

Lew, regarding the identification of “WAC” as Winfield Arms Corp., I can add that between 1948 and 1951 this company was known as Western Arms Corp. In 1951, Winfield Arms Corp. was incorporated and it was listed as a distributor for Western Arms Corp., whose name entirely dropped by 1952. Based on ads, this company was in business until at least 1963.

The original WAC was an early importer of m/40 pistols (Lahti) made by Husqvarna in Sweden, but their ads fail to mention ammunition of any kind. For this reason, I assume that this box correspond to the 1951-63 period, although I couldn’t find an ad listing these specific ammunition. In fact, the one shown below is the only one I have found that mentions 9 mm Parabellum cartridges. It dates from 1958.

Doc AV, all Spanish speaking countries in North, Central and South America speak the same language also known as Castilian (“Castellano”), the only difference resides in pronunciation. Also, the word “cartuchoes” does not exist in Portuguese language; the correct one is also “cartuchos”, as in Spanish.

Regards,

Fede

Also, here is a picture of the SM 9 mm Parabellum box style offered in the Frankonia 1964 catalog: