9mm Makarov

One box Polish Ex rounds, 3 different years.

Dutch

Helping identify cartridge

Willem,

very nice find! As you know me, my pockets are always open!!!

;)

From what I know now it says:

[b]9 mm drill cartridge
(made from? or size of?) live cartridge

• white bullet
  • white primer (struck?)[/b]

Will find out tomorrow and post. Have a good rest of Sunday,

Hans, John will kill me.

Dutch - Probably not kill you, just mutilate you a little bit. Great find. I have never seen this box. How about sending me a really good quality photo of it for my book, direct to my email?
Could also use a picture of the round out of it, and if different dates in the box, what dates there were! I assume they all have a “21” headstamp, as unlike Tokarev, I have never seen a Polish Makrov round with any other factory designator.

I am editing this, as I did not notice the other two pictures. I only have this style of dummy in two of the three years shown, and mine are in poor condition. All of the silver-gray color is gone from both the primer and bullet. The next variation of dummy from these - mine is a “75” date - is the same, except in place of the little round indentations are short flutes in the sides of the cases. The final type I have has a white plastic bullet with the plastic filling the entire case and forming also a white plastic “primer.” It, too, is fluted.

Another little change to the text of my book, to include the third date known. I make changes to the text, more or less finished now, almost every day with new information. The story gets more and more complete!

John Moss

Dutch, so you have the choice.

The “21 72” exists also with tombak plated projectile and regular primer.

EOD - Are you sure of that fact? I thought that was what mine were, and so mentioned it in my book. After seeing Dutch’s posting, I check mine again, and found minute traces of the
silver-gray coloration at the case mouth and around the edge of the primer pocket. I used my Agfa 8x Photographic Negative magnifier to see it! Evidently, whatever the coating is on the bullets and primer
(it looks like they are tinned), is quite fragile. Please confirm here if you know for a documented fact that these dummies were also made without silver-gray coating on the primer and bullet jacket. I am talking
only about the 9 mm Makarov cartridge, of course, not any other caliber.

John Moss

The translation by Hans is correct, except for this part which should be read: “It differs from live cartridge:”

[quote=“JohnMoss”]EOD - Are you sure of that fact? I thought that was what mine were, and so mentioned it in my book. After seeing Dutch’s posting, I check mine again, and found minute traces of the
silver-gray coloration at the case mouth and around the edge of the primer pocket. I used my Agfa 8x Photographic Negative magnifier to see it! Evidently, whatever the coating is on the bullets and primer
(it looks like they are tinned), is quite fragile. Please confirm here if you know for a documented fact that these dummies were also made without silver-gray coating on the primer and bullet jacket. I am talking
only about the 9 mm Makarov cartridge, of course, not any other caliber.

John Moss[/quote]

John, once you say it might be a worn off plating I shall check again and come back later on.

Gregory already said so, the stamp reads:

[b]9 mm drill cartridge
Differs from live cartridge

• white bullet
  • white primer
    (struck)[/b]