9MM MEN 9B standard issue of the Bundeswehr?

I’ve tested this ammo and have come to a few conclusions… it’s accurate, some of my best 25 meter groups have been with this ammo, and It consistently has tighter groups than all 124 grain 9mm I’ve tested. The muzzle flash is low, even in the dark. This ammo is soft shooting and has been 100% reliable. It is loaded very consistent I believe. One thing that sticks out to me is it’s low muzzle velocity… It’s the slowest 124 grain 9mm cartridges I’ve chronographed. From my testing Prvi, Sellier, Fiocchi, Federal and others all have a higher muzzle velocity. From a Glock 17 I am getting 1134 FPS from this MEN 9B, 10 feet from the muzzle. I shot 30 rounds through a chronograph in 10 shot strings, so three different strings and the average was 1134 FPS all together. Averaged of 10.76!!! standard deviation and a spread of only 37… So it’s very consistent. Infact, it’s the most consistent 124GR I’ve tested but with the lowest muzzle velocity. I watched a MEN rep on YouTube state that “they are at the mercy of the Bundeswehr” on how much they can sell to the public… What the Bundeswehr don’t use, they sell to the commercial market… If I understand correctly. I also read this is made to Bundeswehr specifications. My questions are… Why do you think this ammo is loaded so light? Does the Bundeswehr really use MEN made 9mm ammo? Does the German military not prefer a higher velocity 9mm, and why would they not? I just don’t understand why it would be loaded so light. I’m not complaining about the ammo, I’d much prefer to have the accuracy and consistency rather than a higher velocity. Is there such a broad definition of what 9mm NATO ammunition can be specd at? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thank you for reading.

Can you show a photo of the box? I am not sure what variant of 9 x19 you are referring to, particularly where the 9B comes from. The current Bundeswehr 9 x 19 has model designation DM51 (ball) and DM91 (AP).

As to why police might want a loading to be light on energy / velocity, it is usually because it is either training ammo, or because they are being very cautious about over-penetration (shoot throughs) for whatever reason.

1 Like

Thanks for the information and the reply. Here is a picture of the box and cartridge headstamp. If headstamp is hard to read it simply says 9x19 and below that MEN 17.

As per the markings this is no designated 9x19 NATO round.
Also not made for the Bundeswehr.

The “MEN 9B” may be the detail that could ID the whole thing.

That does make sense. At first I thought maybe this might be loaded light to decrease wear on weapons… But the H&K USP and the H&K P30 are solid guns. Especially the HK USP as it was originally built as a .40 S&W gun. The MP5 is roller delayed so I would assume it would work better with higher velocity loads… But like I say I don’t know the purpose of this cartridge… Maybe it has been loaded from left over components and loaded light for the American market… Thanks for your reply.

MEN 9B is the product code assigned by Magtech.

I will do more research on the “MEN 9B.” If you’ve seen the photo I uploaded, it is printed on the center of the box. Thanks.

That makes sense to me. I believe MEN is partially or fully owned by Magtech perhaps.

As EOD already pointed out, this headstamp is not used for Bundeswehr ammunition. I might add it is also not for German police. In both cases, the lot number MEN17E0861 would show up in the headstamp.

To what I saw in the recent past it is a typical export headstamp.

I see. Great marketing tactics from Magtech with dubious claims it’s made to German military specifications… When in reality it’s essentially commercial market ammo. Thanks.

Well, it still can be to mil specs and the ammo does not have to be commercial.
Also in particular since MEN is not making ammo for the commercial market for ages.
So what you have here can be a production overrun or simply surplus (which does not have to be expired).

Do you have a smart phone that can scan the code in the upper right corner? That should yield the manufacturer, and possibly other info.

Interesting that ammo made in America is loaded lighter, on average, than foreign made ammo, at least as far as handgun rounds are concerned.
I have noted that for many years, and I much prefer ammo made in Europe [Geco, Fiocci, PRVI], and Mexico [Aguila] all of which have noticably better ballistics than US made handgun ammo, excepting specialty ammo, such as hunting rounds, of course.

Check this one out:
Out of stock, but they were selling it for $12/box…
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/magtech-men-9mm-luger-nato-ammo-124-gr-fmj-men9b-p-78406.aspx

And this is from SGammo:
" Finest quality import 9mm ammo made to German military specifications, this ammo is exceptionally clean and consistent.

1000 round case of 9mm NATO (9mm Luger) 124 grain FMJ Ammo for sale, made by MEN in Germany - MEN9B. Real German Military manufacture 9mm NATO ammo, brass case, boxer primer non-corrosive. Please note that this 9mm NATO is made to German military spec, and is not ‘M882’ spec which many clients are more familiar with."

https://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus-ammo-sale/1000-round-case-9mm-nato-124-grain-fmj-ammo-made-men-germany-men9b

So, we know SOMEONE is lying about the origin and use, since the brass does not have the NATO (circle/+) marking on the headstamp!!

Jack, it still does not mean it is not made to NATO specs.
If the customer is not a NATO army the NATO cross simply will not matter to him.
And of course it still can be a lie but we have no proof for either.

Remember: that one is paranoid does not mean noone is following him!

I meant that the on-line seller [SGammo] is lying about it being NATO ammo, and I would wager they got it directly from MAGTECH in the US, not as an import fom Germany as implied.

30+ years in retail makes one somewhat suspect of the “truth” in advertising…

MEN is a subsidiary of CBC since January 8, 2007. Magtech is a brand owned by CBC and also the name of two companies distributing their products in USA and Europe.

The box itself for the MEN 9B is proof enough that the rounds are from Germany, but they could have been purchased in the USA thru MAGTECH. That doesnt mean that there is no hyperbole involved with these merchant’s descriptions, though.

John Moss