9mm REM.UMC

I have in my notes this “REM.UMC” headstamp was a CBC contract order. Is it and if so when and for what market?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, Your are correct. This case was produced by CBC. It could have been made as early as 1972, but the first examples I encountered were in the early 1980s. The give-away is the use of lower case “mm” in the caliber designation. All other REM-UMC 9mm Luger headstamps I know of use “M/M”.

I have never seen a box for these cartridges so if someone has one I’d like to buy it or at least have a photo.

I have no idea who they were made for but at least some turned up in the US.

Have a good Christmas.

Lew

These rounds were made for United States Sales and sold under the brand name "Union Metallic Cartridge Company (Note: Just as I typed it - they did not use the “Remington” name in the brand name of this ammunition despite the REM-UMC headstamp). The brand continue on for a long time as Remington’s “Generic Ammunition,” much like the “USA” brand for Winchester. However, after the first couple of shipments, the ammo was made in the USA and carried the standard R-P headstamp. The quick take on the box is that it is kind of a cream-color/yellow box with all black print. The Brazilian box is not made for a styrofoam or plastic insert, and the ammo was packed heel to toe, so it is smaller than the later boxes with American-made ammunition in them. The line was expanded from just 9 mm Para, but I forget offhand if any of the other calibers were made in Brazil. I believe some .45 was, and perhaps .380, but I will have to check that next week when I am back at home.

Even the Brazilian box shows the Loanoke, Arkansas address for Remington, if that helps date it.
I will try to research the approximate date when I get home too, if no one beats me to it here in the interim.

By the way, Lew mentioned the case was made by CBC of Brazil, which is correct, but they actually loaded the ammunition as well. The boxes say “Made in Brazil.”

Lew - next week, I will send you a couple of scans of the complete box. If it doesn’t happen on Monday or Tuesday, shoot me an email and remind me. A lot on my mind right now.

I was amazed to find how little information I had on the UMC (modern) line of ammo, either from Brazil or the later US production. I have virtually no catalog material from them. The line is not shown in any of the contemporary Remington catalogs I have.

I did have a note in my ctg. catalog showing the 9 mm was introduced c. 1985.

There is a Brazilian-made .45 Auto as well, headstamped “REM•UMC 45 AUTO.” It has a brass primer, which is quick ID. Other calibers were offered in the UMC line, but I could find only the 9 mm and the .45 of Brazilian manufacture in my collection. They may have been the only pistol calibers made there for Remington, prior to Remington just packaging their own ammo under the UMC brand as well as the Remington brand.

If someone else knows of other calibers with the REM-UMC headstamp and made in Brazil, let us know. I would say, straight up, that if the primer cup is not brass, however, then the cartridge is not Brazilian.

John–The first catalog I can find listing the new UMC line is the 1987 Retail Price List (not the General Retail Catalog). They are not listed in the 1986 Retail P.L. or the 1986 Dealer P.L. nor on a 1986 Flyer for Promotional Loads. The first appearance in a General Retail Catalog isn’t until 1993. The 1987 RPL had the following:

D25AP
D9MM2
D38S5
D45AP4
[color=#FF0000]L38SUP
L380AP[/color]

D223R3
D30CR1
D308W4

Note that all the loads except those two I show in red have a “D” suffix. Also, those two loads are listed in the Price List as “New for 1987” indicating that all the others were introduced earlier, probably mid-1986. In the 1989 Price List, all those “D” loads had been changed to “L” loads. While I have no proof (I don’t have any boxes) I suspect the “D” loads were the CBC made rounds.

I can confirm that the .30 Carbine and .223 Remington also exist with REM•UMC headstamp. I’ll look for the others on the list.

Although headstamped “Remington”, the 12 ga Duck Unlimited all brass shotshell was also made by CBC and introduced in 1987 (Index No. 29999).

Here’s a picture of the box coded D9MM2 from a 1987 magazine (sorry for the quality):

I have the yellow box like that illustrated by Fede, but mine is marked “L9MM2” and is marked “Made in USA”. The headstamps are all R-P.

This seems to support Ron’s theory that the “D9MM2” identifies the boxes produced in Brazil.

I thougth I had a Brazilian box for this headstamp but cannot find it. Perhaps in one of the cardboard boxes I have full of boxes I haven’t sorted through yet.

Good Research all!

Cheers,
Lew

Lew–Another small, but perhaps important point. The D9MM2 was a 124gr. FMJ. When they changed to a “L” load it is L9MM3, a 115gr FMJ load.

John Moss was kind enough to send photos of the “Made in Brazil” box.

Cheers,
Lew

Factory box for modern UMC Co 9 mm Cartridges made at CBC of Brazil. The
box is 4" by 2 " when assembled (folded as it would appear on a shelf for sale, full of ammo). This is smaller than the later UMC-brand boxes with American-Made ammunition in them. The insert box is plain cardboard and takes the cartridges “heel to toe” accounting for the smaller size. The American boxes have inserts with holes for each cartridge, all “bullet-down.” The headstamp on the ammo for this box is REM•UMC 9 mm Luger. Bullet jacket is GM, primer cup and case are brass. There are no visible primer seals or case-mouth seals.

Photo and collection of John Moss