9mm Steyr Packet

Tony Edwards suggested I put up the attached pics of a 9mm Steyr Packet. What is the meaning of ‘MARCA AVION’ on the packet?

Ian
[/img]

[quote=“ian jones”]What is the meaning of ‘MARCA AVION’ on the packet?
[/quote]

Marca Avi

While I don’t known the exact significance of the “Marca Avion” marking, it is probably a brand name peculiar to the South American country this ammunition was probably made for. Chile was a user of the Steyr Hahn Model 1911/1912 Pistol, and had them marked specifically for them, with their Crest on the side of the slide. Much Geco and RWS ammunition has come to the USA in this caliber, and I suspect that’s where this “Marca Avion” ammunition came from, although I was never able to confirm it through documentation. It is hard to get importers to reveal their sources for anything, even if they have already cleaned out all of that product from a single source. Regardless, at one time it was sold in large shooting quantities by dealers and at gun shows all over the USA, along with Geco ammunition in a box of almost identical design and art work, except green in color.

Whether RWS picked the trademark name, or it was requested by the South American importer, I simply don’t know, but I am pretty sure that the box design was specifically for South American sales. I know of nothing else that Dynamit Nobel A.-G. (RWS and Geco) ever used this appellation on, although of course with all the different ammo they sold, they could well have. I certainly am not even conversant, much less expert, on their full product lines. “Marca Avion” does not appear among their trademarks shown in any catalog that I have.

It is interesting to note that despite the RWS headstamp, the RWS name is not used on the box label at all - the only brand shown is the "Marca Avion."
Further, the same design of box, except green in color, was used by Geco, but it has their full factory name on the box, and does not use the “Marca Avion” at all.

It is is also interesting that neither the Export Catalogs of 1934 or 1936 for Geco or RWS even show them manufacturing the 9mm Steyr cartridge. while both offered the 9mm Bergmann-Bayard cartridge in those catalogs, however. Unfortunately, we do not have a 1935 catalog for either company.

While the 1935 headstamp is the only known RWS commercial/contract marking for this caliber known, there are several variations of Geco cartridges, as well as at least two other box variations for Geco. There are also “dnh” coded cartridges from German military boxes, although they are credited to “RWS A.-G., Werk Durlach, vormals Gustav Genschow.” Note that the Durlach Werk is the Geco factory, not one of those originally from RWS.

Perhaps one of out South American or German participants can fill in the blanks for us.

• In Romanian language “MARCA AVION” means “the avion brand” or “the aircraft type”. This is the only one mark printed on that ammo box which has a meaning in the Romanian language, everything else is in German. —> The 9mm Steyr M1912 pistol made in Austria was used by the Romanian Army during WW1, WW2 and in between. 9mm Steyr ammo was manufactured in Romania. I have a few rounds with brass cases and segmented headstamps manufactured in 1943 by “PA” [“Pirotechnia Armatei” - in Romanian language / Army Pyrotechny]. Starting clockwise from the 9 o’clock position, the impressed headstamp markings for the Romanian made 9mm Steyr ammo are: “P”, “1943”, “A” and “9”, see my “Photo 3” at the bottom-left of page 6 [IAA Journal Issue 433, Sep/Oct 2003]. => After 1945 the 9mm Steyr M1912 pistols were declared obsolete in Romania and during late 1940s [when Romania was already under fierce Soviet control] these old weapons were sent to the “Chinese comrades” from far East. Liviu 08/01/09