9mmP Hirtenberger

A common enough headstamp, but can somebody let me know the date range during which it was used.

Lew, John?

Thanks
TonyE

Tony,

I don’t know, except the obvious, that it is Post-WWII. It is found in five or six loading variations, so was probably made for awhile. Much rarer is the same headstamp but with a slash mark in the caliber “9 m/m.” I have only one loading in that style.

If I had to guess, I would say this style was used in the 1960s or 1970s. I don’t know anyone who has made a real try at telling why Hirtenberger varied their star pattern so much. It is almost a sure thing that they used more than one pattern simultaneously.

Their is a headstamp with this same kind of asterisk marking (rather than a real star figure) but with six points on each side, as I recall.

Here is a real subject for further study from someone with really good Austrian connections. I don’t recall much attention to this paid by Moetz in his books, although being primarily in German, I can’t get the most out of them.

Tony, to what John said I can also add that these cartridges came in 25 round boxes with the “HP” monogram used since 1959 (when domestic production of this caliber was resumed), and also mentions that these are loaded with “Antikorrid” primer composition, in use since 1955. The Berdan type primer was used before the early 1970’s.

Many thanks, gentlemen. That is good enough for the purposes I need.

Regards
TonyE