9x19 3.3 gram Dead Eye Safety Slug?

I have an old Dutch report from the Seventies about police ammo tests that had been conducted by the German Police.
One of the rounds tested was a 9x19mm 3.3 gram (51-gr.) Safety Slug from Deadeye Inc.
The bullet was a “plastic jacket filled with ?” [sic!].
After firing the bullet into gelatin it still weighted 3.3 gram (100% weight retention), so probably this was not a Glaser safety slug.

I have no idea what this round looks like. Maybe anyone of you can help me??

EMZ, Deadeye of Opelousas, Louisiana was the first distributor of the Safety Slug (then Glaser Safety Slug) made by Jack Y. Canon since late 1972. Does this report have a date?

Fede, thanks for your reply.
No, the report has no date, but it must be released somewhere arond 1975-1978.
The weight is very light - 3.3 gram (= 51 grains), and according to the description the bullet is made of a plastic with a core made of “?”.

Maybe it is also possible that in the transition and translation from one report to another things were mixed up or confused.

I do not have the complete report by Bundeskriminalamt, but my notes from it say that “Deadeye/USA” with a bullet weigt of 3.3 g refers to a cartridge loaded with shot (Schrot). Penetration into gelatine was only about 8 cm. The abbreviation GSS was actually used in the report, so it could very well be Glaser Safety Slug.

The 9 mm Safety Slug bullet by Deadeye is mentioned in several US reports from 1975 to 1979 as having a weight of 96 gr and a muzzle velocity of 1365 fps from a 4" barrel. Also, the description of its construction is typical of early versions of the GSS bullet.

Do you know the muzzle velocity of this 3.3g load?

During the German police tetst they shot this 3.3 gram projectile 4 times into a 15x15x20 block of gelatin. The Safety Slug had a hit energy of 457 Joule. Complete energy transfer happened in less than 10 cm.
That’s all I have additional on this round.

JPeelen also mentioned this “GSS” 3.3 gram projectile. Probably it was indeed a Glaser Safety Slug, and maybe someone made a mistake about the weight.
I can not imagine such a light bullet will recycle a pistol’s action without producing enormous gas chamber pressure.

The problem with these kind of tests is that the details are always ‘confidential’ for the next 10 to 20 years. By the time it is declassified, original documents are lost, the cartridges are not around anymore, and the scientist have other jobs or are retired. And now, after 40 years, everything is destroyed, and the retired workers even have passed out.
I like to do some research on the developments of certain ‘police’ ammunition types, but it is not an easy task! ;)

Fede, I was away for a few days.
The report mentions only the target velocity (at 15 m) from a 125 mm barrel (Walther P1): 526 m/s (corresponding to 457 J)

That’s an awfull LOT of m/v’s for a 9mm projectile at 15 meters!

Jochem, thanks for the additional information. From its description it doesn’t seem to be a mistake but I don’t have any other information about this loading as it could be from before 1975. Is this report available online? I would be interested in having a copy.

When the report was issued in 1977 or 1978 it was restricted. The thirty year period for it is over, but I am not aware of a copy publicly accessible, not to mention online. Because it was restricted, I have no copy.