9x19 "WIN" steel case - manufacturer ID

Here a 9x19 steel case with “.WIN. 9mm LUGER” headstamp.
Though being declared as “made in the USA” the case itslef is most liklely made abroad and there likely in Eastern Europe. At least this is the consensus amongst those people who are also curious to find out who made these cases.
Anybody out there who has an insight as for who made these cases?

Sorry for the crappy scan. The hs itself is not very well applied and the scanner is not making it any better.

Hi Alex,

My first reaction was the same as yours, but since this product was put on the market Winchester have stated several times and in many different ways that this is not an imported case and that is manufactured at their Oxford facility. They also have mentioned the development of manufacturing methods, coatings, etc.

Accepting their words as a fact, I have researched this subject and came across very interesting information.

There is a company located in Tiffin, Ohio named National Machinery LLC that is dedicated to advanced cold forming machinery (http://www.nationalmachinery.com/). In 2012 and 2015 they applied for patents covering the process of manufacture of a “precision forged cartridge case” that can be made of steel or aluminum, and the accompanying drawings illustrates a 9 mm case. These patents were granted in 2014 and 2015, respectively:

US20140083319.pdf (1.1 MB)

US2015174643A1.pdf (806.9 KB)

National Machinery also had a booth at the latest SHOT Show: http://www.nationalmachinery.com/about-us/news/details/2017/01/10/national-to-exhibit-at-all-new-event

And now, regarding the relationship between this and “Steel Forged” cartridges, guess what? The vice president of engineering of National Machinery is the same as the director of purchasing of ammunition and brass of Olin Corp.

Unless I am missing something or this is just a huge coincidence, now I believe that these 9 mm cartridges are “USA Forged” and in fact Winchester has been always honest on the matter.

Regards,

Fede

Fede, VP + Director 🤔🤔🤔=Negocio redondo.

Fede,

Great research!

From an earlier discussion here on the Forum concerning Winchester steel 9mm cases with 2 dots in the headstamp ( •WIN• ), it is was suggested at the time that this could be a S&B made case.

Photo posted by Matt showing the Winchester 2 dot headstamp:

So the questions remain, is this a Winchester made headstamp and what do the 2 dots mean?

Brian

Fede, great info you dug up there! Thanks a lot!

Fede! Again Well Done!

I have always doubted that these cases were made outside the US since the front of the box, in very large letters it says “USA FORGED” and Olin is too big an organization to try to pull a scam on this. Why would they have put that on the front of the box unless the cases are US Made.

I suspect some members have been though the Oxford facility in the past few years. Has anyone seen the steel case line down there?

It does seem strange to me that Olin has only made steel cases in 9mm. On the other hand, I know nothing about the market, but maybe 9mm is the biggest current market for steel case ammo.

Thanks again for the great work.

Cheers,
Lew

Cheers,
Lew

Brian - I think the top photo also has a case with 2 dots (I think they all have two dots?), but is it just hard to see them in that photo as they are obscured or at a bad angle.

Matt, the first pic has as reproduced in written the “.WIN.” - with dots.
But I heard it also exists without the dots.

Only addeition I have is that the brass primers are really rough looking. lots of handling marks on surface of brace (at first glance looked like intentional marking but closer exam its random dots/scratches). thx for responses especially fede’s

Thanks to all for this very valuable information. I will add that the primers on mine do seem rough: at first I thought they were deliberately marked in some way (as for example, Norma does) but they aren’t. I have to wonder if perhaps this line of ammo is made with primer cups that don’t meet “cosmetic standards” for Winchester’s “better” lines. The steel cases seem to vary a bit in finish too. They don’t seem to be laquered, either, as is most (if not all) European steel case ammo I have seen.

“Quality” characteristic of the products of the Barnoul machine-tool plant)

The cases are American made. Period.

John Moss