9x19 WRA Co conical projectile ID

This is probably a very simple ID but I dont go out of my way to collect 9mm para.
Headstamp
W.R.A.CO. 9M/M LUGER.AUTO

i am sure lew will give you full details of production years etc., but it looks like a standard pre-war commercial round with the truncated cone bullet. This was the original bullet style for the Parabellum pistol and was made by all the big ammunition companies.

Regards
TonyE

More information please. A picture of the headstamp would answer remaining questions about primer markings or lack thereof, primer cup material, etc.

It is a standard Winchester pre-WWII commercial cartridge, but a look at is “rear end” will help date it. I have not checked yet, but I think that the lack of a case cannelure dates it as a fairly early one in this case. Again, primer details will help date it closer.

Thanks, Will take a scan of the base later today.

Not the greatest quality scan but will hopefully do the trick.
I had better give it a bit of a clean around the primer from that old caked in metal polish!

You didn’t mention if it is FMJ or FMJ-HP. It doesn’t really matter much, since both were 125 grain bullets. Winchester began loading this cartridge in 1905, and the first loading was with no case cannelure and with a plain copper-cup No. 1-1/2 primer (no “W” on the primer). I don’t know when they started using the “W” marked primer cups. Early bullets has a small “W” on the side of the bullet, just above the case-mouth as well, which I think I see in your picture. I would rate this as the first form of Winchester 9 mm Luger cartridge, but the headstamp is the 2nd style, where the “o” in “Co.” is about the same size as the “C”, not smaller. I don’t know exactly when they made that change either. They started putting a groove (cannelure) on the shells in 1927, so your round was made betwen 1908 and 1927. I, personally, would guess it was made closer to the earlier date than the later date, but I have no documentation at hand to prove that.

I hope this is of some help. By the way, the bullet jacket is tinned, a practice they stoped in 1930

Reference: My own notes and "W.R.A.Co., Headstamped Cartridges and Their Variations, by Daniel Shuey, Volume II, pages 217 - 220.