9x19mm Geco with two-piece projectile

I picked up a Geco 9x19mm round with a red primer seal and (what appears to be) a two-piece projectile. It does not attract a magnet. The tip appears to have a layer of clear lacquer applied. The line around the tip is perfectly straight and of consistent thickness. If you drag your fingernail over the bullet it will catch at the line.

I did a quick search but couldn’t find anything.

Could this be a variation of the BAT projectiles?

hello
i think is a type of “deformation geschoss” projectile

Strelok is correct. Your cartridge, which I assume does NOT have a hole in the tip, is a later version of the Dynamit A.-G./Geco Effectnose-Geschoß, which as imported into the USA was renamed by Check-Mate Arms Co., Inc. of Oak View, California, as the “Blitz Action Trauma” (BAT) cartridge. The initial designation for these rounds by DAG was "Effectnose-Geschoss (I am using the double SS in both instances printed as it appears on the original boxes). It was later changed to “Action-Geschoß,” and that began a long series of variations of this type of ammunition by DAG/GECO. The first version of the DAG/GECO cartridge was with projectile weight of 7,15 grams, later reduced to 5,6 grams. I suspect from the headstamp on your round that it is the latter, as the early rounds with commercial headstamps, said simply “GECO 9mm” with slightly later versions “GECO 9 mm Para.” The last commercial versions I saw of this specific variation (5.6 grams) were headstamped as is yours, “GECO 9 mm Luger.”

This round was introduced approximately 1976, according to an early dated box I have.

The “Deformationsgeschoß” which was introduced c. 1977 was a product of MEN , not Geco. The name was changed quickly in 1978 to Quick-Defense-Geschoss, again spelling from box labels. Interesting that the term “Quick-Defense” is expressed on the box as shown, in English.

Hope this is of some help.

John Moss

2 Likes

Thanks John, that is very helpful. Your assumption about the tip is correct.

Although the Action was the successor of the Effectnose, its design is totally different.

No argument there. In fact, among the various rounds of the Action Group (1, 3, 4, 5 etc) there are design variations.

John M.

At left 7,15 gram Effectnose (1978), at right 5,9 g Action 1 (lot 1/78).

2 Likes

EMZ - nice photos. Thanks for posting. I think sections of later rounds of the action series would also show changes in design. One thing certainly leads to another in the ammo business.

John M.