9x19mm Hornady Steel Case

Last year I bought a box of Hornady 9mm steel case HP loads when they came out. Just recently I bought another box because the label had changed significantly (the 2010 box was just white with a silver end label.

When I got the box I noticed that the cases were very different. The 2010 cases had a dark, slightly greenish gray lacquered steel case. The 2011 loads have a medium-light gray flat finish. The headstamp did not change.

I gotta believe these cases are made in Russia!

Below are the photos of the loads and the boxes.

Note the order of the box photos is switched between the two photos. The box label and end flap marked “STEEL MATCH” go together.

It is interesting that the depth of the boxes is about a quarter of an inch more than needed for these loads.

Cheers,
Lew

I assume the green one to be made by Barnaul and the Grey ones by Tula or Ulyanovsk (the latter two are related).

I agree, I have recent boxes of TULammo 9mm that are the flat light gray color, and then other typical Wolf 9mm boxes which are the lacquered looking darker green color. The look is an exact match for each type of Hornady load.

Wolf cartridges have been made mostly by Tula, but not exclusively. Tula rounds for the last few years, other than their commercial “Military Line” (the ones that come in sort of camo boxes) have a polymer case finish, which gives a lighter gray finish, rather than the dark green finish of the lacquered-steel cases.

The Hornady cases are definitely Russian. I am surprised the box does say that, but then, I guess if they are loaded here, they can get away with not having country of origin of the cases marked on the boxes.

What is the proofhouse logo (just under the lotnumber) on the boxes, polish? czech?
Soren

Great question Soren! It is on both boxes, but not pictured on the 2011 box. It also occurs on a couple of other Hornady boxes I have sitting around including one 124gr TAP CQ which doesn’t say “Made in America” interestingly enough. In fact it doesn’t say where it was made!

Lew

[quote=“mausernut”]What is the proofhouse logo (just under the lotnumber) on the boxes, polish? czech?
Soren[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken I believe it is Hirtenberger’s logo. Can anybody confirm this?

Over the years I’ve noticed Hornady loads in various calibers with this same logo on the labels.

I’ve seen WOLF .223 Rem ammo in both the grey & dark green, boxes almost identical, but for one line on the end flaps.

That “Eagle P” mark was explained before on this Forum, but I could not find the thread searching anything I tried. I think one of the German collectors ID’d it. EOD???

Pete - all of the Wolf ammunition used to be lacquered steel cases. Whether true or not, there were complaints about lacquer build-up fouling chambers and eventually they switched for their regular ammo lines (Tula, Tulammo, etc.) to the polymer finish. I shot plenty of the lacquered steel Makarov and 9mm Para ammo, and never had problem one with it. I suspect the complaints were BS!

[quote=“JohnMoss”]
The Hornady cases are definitely Russian. I am surprised the box does say that, but then, I guess if they are loaded here, they can get away with not having country of origin of the cases marked on the boxes.[/quote]

John, that is the way “Buy American” is solved by Hornady.

Our machines have a sticker who says; made of US and non US parts. -:)

[quote=“JohnMoss”]That “Eagle P” mark was explained before on this Forum, but I could not find the thread searching anything I tried. I think one of the German collectors ID’d it. EOD???
[/quote]

John, I am no expert in civilian ammo at all but this one is not German but an Austrian proof house mark. Likely because ammo sold there has to have the mark as a sign for passed certification. So some manufacturers are putting it right on the box when it is produced. Have also seen boxes with such stickers if I recall it right.

Here a list of European proof house marks:

phoenixinvestmentarms.com/ar … fmarks.pdf

EOD - Thank you. By the way, you know a heck of a lot more than you admit to! Thanks for your help, always!

Thx EOD, austrian it is. P in the shield must mean Patronen since it is a proof/test of the cartridge in the box(?). The Phoenix auction house list is good, though it misses some of the modern marks, Liege being one example (L in a crowned circle).
Soren

Indeed it is.

This link beschussamt.at/BA_Wien_Waffen.htm shows the mark. The direct translation of the designation is “Austrian Ammunitionproofmark”.

The following link is an austrian law journal from 1999 with all austrian and the accepted foreign proof marks:
ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bgbl … _387_2.pdf

FWIW, I dug around and found the same symbol/proof on a box of commercial Hornady 95gr 9mmP XTP I purchased around 200 (discontinued product), and a box of Hornady 5.56mm 75gr TAP T2 purchased by my agency in 2007 (both brass-cased products predating any of their steel-cased stuff).

I assume that the proof is on the box for export reasons (?); I know the brand is popular with folks in Australia, Europe, etc.