9x23mm Steyr box

My M1912 Steyr came to me with several boxes of ammo (see below). To me it looks like a non military packaging, plus not made in Austria. Even Wikipedia shows the box like mine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M1912_pistol. May someone post images of hopefully Austrian and Hungarian military boxes?

scan0096

Vlad - Geco boxes like you show do have a label-style more commercial than military. Some of this ammo, along with ammo packed in 50 round boxes both under the Geco and the RWS brand, came to the US from Chile, along with a quantity of Chilean Contract M12 Steyr Pistols. As I recall, some Chilean-made ammo came with them as well, although I am not positive about that. I have a Chilean box for 9 mm Steyr.

Below is a picture of some Austrian boxes which you asked for.

The top two boxes on the left are from the G.Roth Company, with the upper box having cartridges with headstamp " * / GR / * / 892 / ". Despite the headstamp, I would think this was a military box, as it does not show the caliber of the ammo. It doesn’t even show what weapon it is for, and the ammo is packed on 8-shot clips. The lower of the two Roth boxes came to me empty. I don’t know the headstamp, but the box showing the caliber and model of the pistol, strikes me as more commercial than the other. Only a guess.

The lowest box on the left is from Hirtenberger and is likely commercial.

The top two boxes on the right are two 16-round boxes from the Staatsfabrik, which was Hirtenberger. One is from 1935, the most common date encountered on this style of box, while the one below it is originally printed for 1935, but altered to “1936.” These boxes are for 16 rounds, probably on clips (both mine came to me empty). The clips for these boxes are chromed and marked with an “H” enclosed in a circle.

The final box, bottom right, is a 25-round box for ammunition not on clips. Headstamp of the cartridges is " * H * 1935."

I did not bother with my commercial Hirtenberger, post-1945 commercial boxes.

I am not aware of the Hungarians ever producing the 9 x 23 mm Steyr cartridge, and have never seen a box from Hungary. They did produce the 9 x 25 mm Mauser cartridge.

John Moss

1 Like

I can show a Sellier & Bellot box.

Rgds

2 Likes

So, the question arises: was there any production of the 9 m/m Steyr for the Czech armed forces post-1918? Jack

A duplication of Dutch’s S&B box (took before I looked).
It & the G.F.L box are empty & the FM is sealed so I don’t know which variation is in it.

1 Like

A box of DWM Chilean 9mm Steyr

1 Like

Hi
2 stickers from one original factory catalog ( France SFM ) an draw about
Bsrg, Dan

08697 08698 S 10159

3 Likes

Jack, how about this one?
M  9J
pro
Dan

1 Like

Vlad,
So many of the green boxs like yours came in during the late 1960s that one loader was cutting the rounds down to 9x19mm and remarking the boxes with a stamp. I did bother to pick up a round which is in the collection, but had no interest in a box (at shooting prices). I now wish I had bought a box of them.
He didn’t include the strippers which he obviously sold separately.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

Might as well continue the boxes.

Top: Cartridge headstamp "HP 9mm STEYR (smal hst letters)
Middle: Cartridge headstamp “HP 9 mm STEYR” (large hst letters)
Bottom: Unterrichts-Patronen (Instructiona; Cartridge) chromed dummy cartridge, 4 holes in case, black rubber-like primer pocket filling, headstamp H 1918. Note date that cases were made into dummies “IV.1935.”

RWS and DWM Boxes:

Top: RWS Marca Avion, cartridge headstamp “19 RWS 35 9mm St.” (primer: O)
Middle: DWM, cartridge headstamp “K DWM K 577” (plain letters, no serifs)
Bottom: RWS (dnh code), headstamp “dnh * 1 43” (primer: O) on Steyr stripper clips marked “hrl 43” (hrl code: Ackermann, Albert, Nchfg., Pich & Schulte, Jserlohn/Westf.

Geco Boxes:

Top: Cartridge headstamp “Geco 9mm St.” (Primer: O)
Middle" Cartridge heastamp same as above
Bottom: Sealed, full box. Exact headstamp unknown

Chilean Box:

Cartridge headstamp “F A M A E 9 1965” Translation of label into English:

Factories and Storage Facilities of the Army
24 Cartridges for Styer pistol (JLM Note: “Steyr” is mispelled on label as “Styer.”)
Caliber 9 m/m (without chargers)
Powder Rottweil
Fabrication 8 May 1966

John Moss

1 Like

What would “9J” indicate?

vlad, per Johns book. The 9J might stand for Jo-Lo-Ar, a well known Spanish pistol. This is a 9mm Bermann-Baynard cartridge. There is also a M in circle 9S headstamped Steyr cartridge, which I do not have. Please find me one too!
Dan

1 Like

Dan: Thanks for the Czech round pic. The Jo-Lo-Ar is one of those items once seen, never forgotten. Jack

So, this is not a 9mm Steyr? I was stunned that Hungarians did not make 9x23mm. They, ethnically, were so numerous and important to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. And they had factories and knowledge. Municion.org also shows Romanian, Yugo and Czech ones.

Correct vlad. I am also surprise to have not heard about a Hungarian 9x23 yet. The Municion Czech one, I think is Spanish…if I’m seeing it right.
Dan

1 Like

Municion.org has 2 with “SB” and 1 with “Z” under “9x23 Steyr” tab.

Vlad,

I am not aware of any particular use of any weapon in caliber 9 mm Steyr by the Hungarians. Domestic use, especially, is one of the factors why a specific factory will produce a specific cartridge. Home use, often military need, is a major factor; commercial sales often (but certainly not always) follow military use.

Hungary had its own Frommer pistols they made, none in 9 mm Steyr caliber, and they also produced, as part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Roth-Steyr 8 mm Pistol, made not only by Waffenfabrik Steyr, but also by Fegyvergyar Budapest.

As to Sellier & Bellot headstamps in caliber 9 mm Steryr there are three known headstamp styles, at least, and one by SB, not to mention the “Circle M” headstamp. At least one of these, a specimen at hand having headstamp “19 / VI / 16 / SB /” would be more properly called an Austro-Hungarian headstamp, a mistake in my book on 9 x 23 mm Cartridges in that I titled the whole “Czech” section as “Czechoslovakia,” not technically correct for a cartridge made in that area of Austro-Hungary.

There wee also two different headstamps from “Z”.

John

1 Like

Vlad - Romania made the 9 mm Steyr for sure, at Pirotehnia (also seen spelled "Pirotechnia) Armatei, from at least 1940 thru 1943. Oddly, even though there was a Romanian Contract Steyr Model 1912 pistol, easily identified by a large Crown surmounting “Md. 1912” on the left side of the slide, about 1/3 of the way back from the muzzle, I never found any information or specimens of a Romanian cartridge in this caliber made until the WWII years.

Yugoslavia also produced the cartridge, headstamp “F.O.M.U.” but in the Cyrillic alphabet, at Fabryka Oruzja i Municje, at Uzice, which later became Prvi Partizan. Dates since are all from the late 1930s, with the highest date known to me to be 1940.

The cartridge has also been made in England, for (and perhaps in) Turkey, France, Italy and the United States, not previously mentioned on this thread, I believe.

John

1 Like

another boxEiocchi 9mm Steyr hs

1 Like

Here’s the last of my packaging specifically for 9 mm Steyr. There are a few boxes just marked for “9 x 23” with no modifier, but I have ignored those, as I believe most, if not all, are actually loads similar to 9 x 23 mm Winchester.

Top: An earlier style of Fiocchi Box than that shown by Pete. Cartridge hst. is the same as Pete’s nice picture.

Middle: Midway Arms, Inc, Columbia, MO, USA. End label shown as it has more information than the top label. Headstamp is “MIDWAY 9MM STEYR”.

Bottom: A-Zoom bag and label, from when they were in Irvine, California. Headstamp is “A-ZOOM 9 STEYR”. Sorry for the blur of the cartridge designation, but that label is inside the cellophane bag. These are snap caps, by the way.

John Moss

1 Like