9x39 Questions

Please, I have a couple of 9x39 questions:

Did they ever make or test the cases without lacquer on the case? In pic below are the line up of the 9x39 with green lacquered cases, but below that (horizontally) are two fired cases that have none/ or different finish.

Also, In the next pictures are empty 9x39 boxes, the one PAB-9. Please what is the second box as all it has is a diagonal line? Thank you Kevin

Better picture of t he PAB-9 box

Naked steel would have a very pronounced tendency to stick to the chamber walls. I suspect the cases had some kind of surface treatment, even if not easily visible.

Most likely what in Russia is called: “phosphate-polymer”, I saw this on cartridges 7.62X39, very unstable.

The diagonal line on the box denotes the bullet type and matches tip color. Black means AP.

The diagonal line on the box denotes the bullet type and matches tip color. Black means AP

Yes. That’s military issue SP-6 AP box. Similar box with SP-5 sniper ball is devoid of any markings whatsoever.

as for greyish cases, it’s typical polymer coating, often used by TPZ plant.

Nice pictures, looking forward to the 9x39mm being imported into the USA. Looks to be a great sub-sonic cartridge.

I saw PAB-9 only in green lacquered cases … maybe the cases lost their cover with long time

The cases of using phosphate-polymer coating on PAB-9 are not known to me. The earliest casings with phosphate-polymer coating on TPZ are known only since 2009.

The “grey” ones have laquer remaining in the extractor grooves. Means they got stripped off the paint by some chemical or thermal process.

Last year I had a couple people asking about this cartridge. The last info I saw was in Oct/Nov 2017 when they said it was coming into the US in last quarter of 2017. Larger shipments were expected in first quarter of 2018. However, the only supplier listed is WOLF, in Placentia, Ca., who was supposed to bring in ammunition AND barrels, but their web site shows no reference to the 9x39 mm cartridge…
“Wolf’s load will sport a 278-grain FMJ. It should be comparable to Russia’s SP-5 9x39mm ball ammunition. According to testing done by Dan Shea and Gemtech’s Phil Dater, the SP-5 scoots along at 905 ft/second. I’d expect the Wolf product to be pretty close to that mark as well.”
“Wolf has been working with “The Barrel Guys” at Tactical Kinetic to make their Wolf A1 upper barrel assembly. Well they can easily tool up for a 9×39 barrel to make AKs or even AR-15s.”
Neither did Tactical Kenetics have any info on their web site…

Ammunitionstore.com has had the 9x39mm Wolf for about a month.

The wolf commercial 9x39 that I have handled and shot were copper washed casings. I have posted pictues else where here.

for more info go to: https://shop.ammo-one1.com/product.sc?productId=754&categoryId=857

Just to keep it straight, these are not copper washed but copper clad. 2 very different things.

Please explain. I am not a metallurgist, wish I was…
This is a good subject.
What is the difference between bi-metal, clad or copper wash? I have tried to find it on Google, and not very easy to explain. Clad is a heat bonding (I think?), wash is electroplating (I think?) Bi-metal ?
Here is what I have found:
Bimetal refers to an object that is composed of two separate metals joined together. Instead of being a mixture of two or more metals, like alloys, bimetallic objects consist of layers of different metals.
Cladding is the bonding together of dissimilar metals. It is different from fusion welding or gluing as a method to fasten the metals together. Cladding is often achieved by extruding two metals through a die as well as pressing or rolling sheets together under high pressure.
Metal Wash: Emission control catalysts are typically manufactured by applying washcoat onto catalyst supports. The washcoat, which serves as the carrier for a precious metal catalyst, is a porous refractory oxide layer which is applied to the substrates from an acidified aqueous slurry, dried and calcined.

OK confused yet ?

In terms of ammo the term “bimetal” is only used by the Russians to what I have observed.
But in fact “cladding” is a variant of how bimetal is made. Means by joining 2 layers of metal under igh pressure and heat (by rolling). This is then done to the metal strips the cups for drawing cases and projectile jackets are stamped from. By nature of this process only those parts of the stamped/drawn items are covered (with copper) which remain untouched by later machining. Means the case mouth, the extractor groove and the flash channels are not clad and will be prone to corrosion. For this reason the extractor grooves are usually painted with a laquer.
Washing is an electolytical process. This then covers the entire case without exceptions.