9x57 DWM no h/s - *photo of base added*

The only thing I’m reasonably sure about is the cartridge type - 9x57 - beyond that, I’m guessing . . . big time.

It seems very odd that this would have no headstamp. Base faced off? Rim thickness measures 1,19mm / 0.047" . . . which seems thin. Ancient handloads in cases fabricated from something else? Factory development lot? Old handloading label from some Germanic nation? Why is there a “Made in Germany” handstamp on the box below the label? “Rottw. P. Nr.” ???

Any ideas, folks? Throw me a line, 'cause I’m already under water on this one!

This is the base:

I can’t help on the “Who Made It” but can make a guess about the handstamp “Made in Germany”. The cartridges were evidently made originally for local consumption in Germany or Austria. At some point the original makers or some importer in the US bought a bunch of it. To legally import it for resale in the US, the boxes are required to carry the label “Made in (Country)” in English. This law went into effect back about 1910 and applies to all imports. Unless it is someplace else on the box, the lack of a “Keep Out of Reach of Children” label puts it before 1964.

Ron, the box construction alone puts the item itself back before WW2, and I’d make book closer to 1900 than 1939. As to when it was brought in, no child warning, so definitely pre-64 importation.

If it helps at all, “381A” that appears on the box is the correct D.W.M. bullet number for this 9 x 57 Mannlicher soft-point bullet.

A few notes that may be useful:

Rim thickness on the 9x57 is normally 1.25-1.30mm. Both plain no hs and milled off hs were done by DWM on early or special production. Would be great to see an image of the hs.

This is typical cWW1-1920’s DWM packet style. I think you will find a faint “491a” by the “Patronen No.” which is the DWM case number for the 9x57 Mauser.

Almost certainly DWM production.

[quote=“WBD”]This is typical cWW1-1920’s DWM packet style. I think you will find a faint “491a” by the “Patronen No.” which is the DWM case number for the 9x57 Mauser.

Almost certainly DWM production.[/quote]

Thank you!

The “491a” is indeed stamped there, and - along with the measurements I took - was the basis of the type identification I made. I’m sorry the stamped elements in the above photo are so hard to read, but they are only slightly more legible when one has the box in hand.

I’ll try to obtain a photo of the base later in the day when the light is softer and less direct. It doesn’t show any machining marks to my eye, but I’ve seen the headstamp removed on other specimens which also left a smooth surface. I would guess that when this is done professionally, the machinist also passes the base across a VERY fine grit abrasive, likely diamond, to remove such residual marks.

BTT with photo added . . . .