A bunch of 5.56 missing / stolen from Ft Bragg

Just saw this article about 14,000 missing rds of 5.56 from Ft Bragg:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/10/officials-investigate-missing-ammo-at-fort-bragg/?test=latestnews

I wonder what mk/mod it was.

Hmmmm…did someone I know get a new rifle???

More than likely M855 or M855A1. I am a little surprised their inventory control system would be accurate enough to pick up that relatively small deficiency out of the tremendous amount of this ammunition probably fired there daily. In my experience, off the books ammunition inventory deficiencies are very common (albeit generally much smaller than 14,000 rounds), and there are several possible reasons for this, such as simple bookkeeping errors or the range staff just out having their own trigger time.

I am not going to say too much for obvious reasons. But for ten years or more we got .303 ammunition for free. All we had to do was to trade back the fired cases so they could be sent back as fired.
The government were pushing .303 ammunition onto cadet forces and saying it had to be used up. The cadet forces couldn’t get the kids to use it all up so were happy to trade it off. All we were doing was shooting it off on their behalf. I have seen adult cadet leaders banging off .303 into the earth bank to get rid of the stuff.

Other stories I am not even going to hint at but I will tell you one story. Back in the 80s we had arranged a shoot with the US marines based here in the UK at Ruislip. A friend of mine who was organising it had a truck pull up outside his house and a couple of very fit young men with American accents delivered several cases of 7.62 which was used on the shoot. It all went down the range so no criminal or terriorist implications about it.

The statute of limitations in this country is seven years so I feel OK about talking about it now, (twenty+ years on) but the loss of 14,000 rounds is chicken feed. I’m suprised they didn’t just absorb it into other allocations and lose it in the paperwork…

A friend of mine who was an armourer had 30 odd rifles in his store that weren’t on the inventory years ago. He was told to dismantle them for spares. Army paperwork is full of holes.

I suppose there are a great many stories about similar incidents. I know more than a few, like about how 10K rounds of military .38 Special “fell off a truck” more than a few years back, instead of being disposed of, and a little more recently, a situation where a Guard or Reserve unit (I don’t remember which) took far more linked M855 than was needed to another military range for qualification with the M249, and for some mysterious reason couldn’t return the unused amount to their inventory, after having signed it out. After the unit had left, leaving behind the excess ammunition, we had a high time burning all of it up in an M249 for most of an afternoon (probably close to 3000 rounds). No one would have noticed had we taken the ammunition home because there was no record of its existence. Actually, shooting it up, as we did, was the only way to handle this situation without getting someone into trouble.

Point is, there are dozens of ways to cover an inventory shortage, just by doctoring the records, and I am surprised this situation was allowed to go public. I’m sure there will be a major stink created, and maybe careers destroyed. Of course, we don’t know the details, and there may be much more to the story that has not been released.