A friend Dropped This Off

I do have ONE good friend!
I have not counted the rounds, but a nearly full box of Winchester “SPLATTERPROOF” .22 Short, and pretty clean! The box is 3"x3"x2.5" deep.
He gave them to me because I have a Savage semi-auto .22 short, so, now I just need to figure out if I want to save them, or have fun for a couple hours!

Can I get an idea of the age?

And I just noticed the “H” headstamp when I was proofreading, so, yes, I need to check them all, don’t I?

1 Like

Hmm, I see “SPATTERPRUF”.
What would that be?

My guess? Early version of frangible?

The “22 Box Identification” site lists this as the 1955 issue series (1955 to about 1960). It used a 29 gr composition bullet.

1 Like

Does ‘composition’ from then equal ‘frangible’ from today?
I presumed this was for the shooting game like they had on the Boardwalk when I was a kid.

From the “22 Box Identification”

These were gallery rounds.

Paul

1 Like

From what I’ve heard from .22 collectors about gallery rounds, the early .22 types were some kind of clay and metal powder matrix. So not too far from today’s polymer-metal matrix.

Ole

Yup, that is definitely this box, thanks for confirming my suspects.

Found some interesting reading here:

About Olin-branded rounds, but they mention the Winchester type as well.

Ole

Before the time of many on this forum, Carnival-type “Shooting Galleries” used real .22 caliber rifles, often chambered on in .22 Short caliber. These frangible-bullet shorts were used by many, if not all, of these galleries. When I was growing up, San Francisco had “Playland at the Beach,” a carnival-type concession with various rides, games, etc. This included a shooting gallery. “Playland” was located right on the Pacific Ocean, just across the street from the beach, and near the famous San Francisco “Cliff House,” which still exists today albeit in very modern form. Playland is gone.

The rifles used in the Shooting gallery were Model 1890 Winchester pumps in .22 Short Caliber. Although not from Playland, I own one of these rifles today.

Needless to say, that was my favorite concession at playland, when I could get my older brother to take me out there.

Since it was a commercial shooting venue, the ammunition was shipped to them “in bulk” in large boxes. I have a Winchester 1000-round “Bulk Pack” box. It does not use the “Trademark” spelling Spatterpruf, but rather describes the caliber as "Spatterproof Disintegrating Bullet .22 Short, Special Gallery Cartridges, Rim Fire. The date code on the box is V60 17. Perhaps someone can interprete that for us? The box is in beat up condition, but I treasure it to go with my Winchester Model 1890.

John Moss

1 Like

So for simple minds like me it is a “frangible”, right?

Edit:
Ah, I see John clarified it.

A long read, but very interesting, indeed!

Jack - I would keep that box intact. I don’t know much at all about .22 boxes, but I don’t believe any of these large, loose-pack boxes, primarily intended for shooting galleries and the like, are very common. My own box still has about 2/3 of its original cartridges. I think they are the same as yours - copper-case with “H” headstamp.

John M.

I definitely need to sort.

I just grabbed a handful, and 2 have SuperX headstamps…

The H hs cases have slighty ‘frosted’ bullets, the SuperX are definitely not as old, with smooth lead, so I will still have some .22 Shorts to shoot!

Yippie, Win-Win!!

There’s currently a 1000 sealed Splatterpruf box in Ward’s auction. It now sits at $1500.
Edit
Just went up to $2012.

The H headstamp, what was the H for? There are 246.

When did Winchester start using SuperX on .22 short?

Those are the only hs in this box.

“H” was for Henry.

SuperX was a Western trademark used from about 1931 to 1960.

Is the weight of the composition shooting gallery bullet really 29 gr.? I ask because the .22 short bullet of lead weighs 29 gr. and it seems a bullet of any metal and that black crumbly material would surely weigh less. Anyone got one of these to weigh? I’ve long since shot mine up in the Winder musket. Jack

There were iron composition bullet that weight 15 grs and lead composition ones that weighted 29 grs (at least that’s what I’ve been told they weigh).

(1) Winchester-Olin ammo with a Henry headstamp? What am I missing?

(2) If the SuperX was made concurrent with the “H” headstamp, could the SuperX have been in this box?