A new comer to IAA forum

Hello Everyone
I have been lurking on this forum for a while now, but decided it was time to join and start posting. I have been lucky to discover small lots of old cartridges and munitions here and there in northern New England.

Today I discovered I had a T65 (F A 46 head stamp)cartridge with 0 stamped primer in a box of odd ball ammunition. And I was very pleasantly surprised. In the same box i found a well as a sterile .30-40 Krag nickle plated fired case. I presume its a proof load but I don’t really know much about it since it has no case head stamp.

I am also looking for more information about “.43 Egyptian” and or Dutch Beaumont ammunition. I have a sterile wooden bulleted shot shell for this caliber.

Thanks for existing IAA

Jonnytoobad

Welcome to the forum…

First of all, photos or scans of your cartridges would be very helpful…

I am not sure what you mean by sterile, but without the benefit of a picture, I would suggest your fired .30-40 Krag case is a tin plated case made at Frankford Arsenal about the turn of the last century…Most FA made Krag cartridges were headstamped but some were not…I would also suggest you look closely with a magnifying glass, as may FA headstamps were faint or only partially stamped…

Randy

jonnytoobad:

WELCOME TO THE IAA FORUM - YOU WILL LEARN LOTS OF NEW STUFF HERE!

I DON’T UNDERSTAND YOUR USE OF THE WORD “sterile”, ARE YOU USING THIS WORD TO DESCRIBE A CARTRIDGE NOT HAVING A HEADSTAMP OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Sir
Thank you for responding to my first post

Sterile to me means intentionally left blank, or having been removed “sterilized” this is a common term with special forces who might used weapons and equipment that has been either manufactured with no marking or had them removed to make it more difficult to ascertain the items origin. I.e. supplier of that item. I used to import arms from over seas and I used to see a lot of sterilized firearms and firearms made with a few with fake markings (in the case of fake ammo the Chinese made “Radway Green” marked 7.62x51mm)

I also have some Portuguese 7x57mm and 7.62x51mm with no head stamp also but I collected these years ago while working in gun shops.

I will try to take some photos soon

Thanks
Jonnytoobad

jonny

While none of the Cal .30 Light Rifle T65 cartridges are rare, some are more common than others. Yours with the FA 46 headstamp is one of those. The “0” on the primer simply means it is a Remington commercial primer.

It’s still a nice collectable cartridge.

Ray

Jonny
Most of us refer to these as NHS (No Head Stamp).
Not at all uncommon in the older rounds