A rare German box of 7x57R Mauser

Dan Dietz talked very excitedly about this box. Unfortunately, I could not buy the whole box, just 2 rounds, but I took photos of the box to post here. I guess it is something uncommon.

Not only uncommon, but when did DWM make this case with the “A” base??
Was it to distinguish the ammo from rimless 7x57 cases, or was these some other purpose ( such as a thin rim,???)
Knowing that it was for sigle shot drop block guns, as well as break type Drilings etc, it is possible that these guns used a thin rim ( as many of the British “flanged” cartridges did.?
When I say “thin”, I mean in comparison with Military Rimmed cartridges, such as the .303 British or the 6,5R. Mannlicher, etc.
Another mystey to devil out.
Doc AV

This cartridge is no mystery.

This was the first of the sporting 7mm M93 Mauser cartridges, the M93A had the same raised base with the “MB” diameter rim of the 8mm M88A Mauser. More commonly known as the “A” type base, this was replaced by the more modern narrower flat rim of the M93B .

This was produced only by DWM from c1896 and listed in catalogs until 1939 but is only definetly confirmed to exist with the (pre 1925) “DWM K M93A K” hs. It was allocated DWM case #380H (c1896) which is rumoured to exist with “…380H…” hs but this is unconfirmed and seems unlikely.

A scarce cartridge and nice to see the packet as I haven’t seen one before.

A few more details. There are actually three cartridges using the c15mm “MB” type rim with a c12mm base. As well as the 8x57 M88A (c1892), 7x57R M93A (c1896) There is also a very rare 7.5mm version of this cartridge (c1892-1895).

All three were probably attempts at providing smaller calibre hunting cartridges for rebarrelled (m71/84) 11mm Mauser rifles, allowing the extractor mechanism to be retained by using cartridges with the same rim as the 11mm Mauser.

Compare this to what Schüler did when he created the 11.2x60 which is a rebated rim version of the 11.15x60R M71 Mauser military cartridge in 1904 (probably the first sporting cartridge with such a rim type). In this case the rim size conforms to the M88 Mauser (also M98) rim type, obviously for compatability with these rifles for case extraction. In this case, this was to allow a larger calibre bullet to be used.

The image shows (from top), the probable evolution of 8x57R M88A to 7.5mm Experimental to 7x57R M93A.

The mention of the "M71 "Type rim size brings back a memory of the development of the M88 Cartridge, which was originally made with a M71 Rim.

Whilst the GewehrsPruf Kommission soon dropped the idea of a rimmed cartridge, opting for a Rimless design case for the M88 Rifle, it seems the Rimmed case idea continued into the Sporting round arena as mentioned, for possible M71 conversions to sporting use. Of course, it was already eminently suitable for Single shot and break action types ofcombination rifles (Drillings etc).

regards,
Doc AV