A Short-Lived, Late WW2 Entry

From what I gather off the internet, The U.S. made high-explosive 57mm anti-tank projectile did not debut until 1945 (The US had been buying high-explosive projectiles from UK.) In my late mom’s collection that contained the rare OSS T13 grenade, I found this nice specimen of a US 57mm along with a “DUMMY” fuze for it.

Again a good find!
The HE with correct inert fuze is almost unencountered these days and real fuzes are missing on those TP variants available in the US.
Is your fuze marked in any way (not the dummy)?

The “DUMMY” is marked “T126”, but the real fuze is unmarked. The dents on the nose button of the real fuze are likely from “us kids” playing such a long while ago.

No, it’s unmarked. Posted additional pics under “reply to topic.” Have another unidentified fuze body (which apparently needed a report typed up by my mother.) It seems to be a percussion fuze with a “delay.” I’ll post it separately. If you get a chance, take a look at the additional pics of the T13. What do you think about the detonator cup being isolated from contact with the explosive filler.? And look down into the detonator cap… maybe I should wear safety glasses? John

It would be helpfull to ID this fuze first and then see if a diagram can be found.
And as you know it is not recommendable to use any force or heat on an unknown item.

It seems the inner disc is threaded and needs a special key with 2 protruding fingers.

Seems to be a simple percussion fuze. Incorporates no arming mechanism or safety pin/ring. Once assembled it’s armed and the only ‘safety’ is the fact that the firing pin push button (or nose button) is recessed in the housing. Body is one-piece except for the nose button housing which might be threaded but more than likely is pressed into the body. A shouldered firing pin and its hold back spring are missing, but would have been installed through the primer hole on the underside. The spring of the firing pin was likely housed in the large bore of the brass block seen at left in the photos. The brass block was kept in place by the spring seen in the alloy block seen to the right of the brass block. Apparently there was a T-shaped pin between the two which kept the brass block (which guides the pin) in place. The primer was pressed into its bore on the underside, and apparently, just taped over to prevent direct contact with the, presumably, lead azide in the detonator cup (missing) which screws into the body. I am surprised that there is no incorporation of safety pins or wires, nor incorporation of setback- or spin- arming.

Well done!

Looking at the headline of this thread I wonder why you wrote “short-lived” as these were used by US allies in Laos and Vietnam.
I am not sure when the US military stopped using it.
The last of these I saw in use in Syria recently and a bit earlier in Libya.

This projectile appears to be the M306 or M306A1 High Explosive (HE) type, not the M307 or M307A1 High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) round. The HE are not too hard to find, usually as practice rounds with inert filling, but the fuzes are scarcer. The HEAT rounds seem to be very scarce.

The fuze for the HE is the style shown here, ending about 2/3 of hte way down the ogive (rounded part of the nose).
The fuze for the HEAT round extends all the way down the ogive to the cylindrical part of the projectile. (Actually this includes a piece about 1" high so the body of the projectile is shorter than the one in the photos above.

The HE is basically a point detonating fuze and HE filler.
The HEAT has a point initiated fuze which passes down a tube to ignite a shaped charge with copper cone insert.

There was also a WP load and a canister.
And the early cases where the front support of the case was an attached ring. The common cases are those seen with 3 bulges in the case neck area.

57mm%20RR%20c