A "stuffed" WWII German 7,9x57 box

So, I got this box

Inside there were 15 rounds. 13 of them had a Greek “EK” headstamp, 1 had a clandestine Greek “I38A 7,9” headstamp and 1 had no headstamp.

Question 1: What time period is “EK”?
Question 2: Was “I38A 7,9” made for SCW?
Qurstion 3: Any way to know anything about “no headstamp” one?

Vlad, does no. 3 have a GMCS, segmented mouth crimp and purple primer sealant?

1 Like

Left is “EK” non magnetic, right is “no headstamp” very magnetic. PA is either black or purple, can’t tell. Yes, “no headstamp” is GMCS. I don’t see a crimp at all.

Hi friends,
my impression is that at the last battle
at the end of WWII in Ořechov near Brno were collected the last remnants of ammunition 7.92x57.
That’s why everything was mixed in boxes.
To this day you will find a diverse number of days marking this charge.
Regards
Franta.

I love Brno (famed for the Battle of Austerlitz, 1805, Napoleon Bonaparte), I had “spalničky” there in 1974 but… I doubt that all this Greek ammo was from a battle far away from Greece. Unless German units in Moravia at that time were previously stationed in Greece.

Franta, why should Greek ammunition being transported to Brno.
The plants; “dou”. and “ak” produced ammunition until the last days of WW2.

I believe somebody stuffed ammunition in an empty box.

1 Like

Hi friends,
answer the question.
Last year I was with a detector on the site of German positions at Lanžhot. Where only Russians and Germans fought.
How can I find lots of 30-06 Springfield cartridges.
US Armi at that time fought about 400 km west.
Regards
Franta.

These were most likely fired by Russian troops since the United States supplied weapons and ammunition to Russia during WW2. But the Germans also used captured US weapons and ammunition.

So both German troops and Russian troops could have used US weapons firing .30-06 ammunition.

Brian

2 Likes