A tropical tin of .577-3" NE

Here’s an interesting tropical tin of cartridges. There is no label on the tin, and I don’t know if it ever had one, but it is stamped W.J. JEFFERY & CO LTD and 577 S. I believe the ‘S’ refers to the solid 750 grain bullets. The tin contains a standard looking box of 5 Kynoch .577-3" Nitro Express cartridges. I’d appreciate it is someone can decipher the lot number 29 J D/S on the back of the box.

Try Issue 442 March/April, 2005 of the IAA Journal page 51 there is the article “Kynoch Box Date Codes”. Going by this, it dates 29 March 1955, the /S indicates use of a steel jacketed solid.

I remembered reading this some time back but did not know if I could find it. God, I love the 50 year index, it makes it so easy to find stuff.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the info Jason. I need to get in the habit of perusing the 50 year index more than I have been. I’m surprised they were still making the tropical tins as late as 1955. Surely other waterproofing methods were more practical by this time. Anyone know when they stopped making the tins?

Guy - would you run a magnet over that bullet - I never heard of a steel-jacketed .577 bullet - thanks JohnP-C

John,
When Jason stated that the ‘S’ indicates a steel jacket, I was surprised also, and tested one at that time. They are steel with a copper plating or thin copper outer jacket. I intended to check the others in my collection to see if any of those those are also steel. I had never paid much attention to the bullets jackets on my British cartridges, and don’t recall ever seeing any mention of steel jackets in the copies of the British ammunition catalogs that I have. I guess its time for me to check my other .577s.

The one 577 3" Nitro in my collection has a GMCS jacket. Looked through some of Doug McGowan’s old catalogs it does not seem to be an uncommon load.

Cheers,
Jason

You learn something everyday…never gave GMCS a thought in this calibre - going to have to check mine with a magnet now. No mention in Kynoch literature re GMCS in .577 - though it makes sense - fairly common in smaller calibres. Regards JohnP-C