A Very Large NPE

I have a large NPE shotshell with the following dimensions:

Rim Diameter - 1.693"
Head Diameter -1.558"
Body Diameter -1.530"
Length - 6.50"

The body is tan paper. The primer is copper and flat. The rim or cup that the primer sits in is broken away like I have seen on older Eley / Kynoch shotshells. There is no trace of a headstamp. Is this enough info to ascertain the gauge? Thanks!

I did a search for ‘PUNT’ and came up with a few posts from ‘historian’. I must have an Eley 1.5" case, but the 6.50" length is not mentioned anywhere in the posts I found. There are no markings on the paper body as shown in some of the photos. Apparently, some of the original cases were cut down to make flares for the military. Cheers!

In the abscence of a better suggestion a 1 1/2" punt gun cartridge sounds very likely.

If it was Eley the base of the cartridge would be very softly rounded in the area of the rim which is almost an Eley tell tale giveaway sign.Tan paper sounds like Eley as well but its not definitive. Many were not headstamped because they were sold on to other distributors. Can you post a picture?

Vince, the rim is quite rounded. Historian’s posts told of much longer versions of my NPE. I will take some photos and see about posting them.

[quote=“Roundsworth”]I have a large NPE shotshell with the following dimensions:

Rim Diameter - 1.693"
Head Diameter -1.558"
Body Diameter -1.530"
Length - 6.50"

The body is tan paper. The primer is copper and flat. The rim or cup that the primer sits in is broken away like I have seen on older Eley / Kynoch shotshells. There is no trace of a headstamp. Is this enough info to ascertain the gauge? Thanks![/quote]

If it is an Eley shotshell (with no picture I can’t tell you !) the maxima dimensions are :
Rim Diameter - 1.7"
Head Diameter -1.568"
Body Diameter -1.528"
Length - 4 and 6 " for Very pistol ctge and 8 1/2 and 9 3/4" for punt gun

jp