AAI C100 Special Purpose Military Cartridge Identification?

I purchased a cartridge that looks like a very short brass 12 gauge at the RMCC show this year. It was in a box of shotshells. It is headstamped AAI C100 with red ink. From what I could find, AAC refers to AAC Incorporated, a defense contractor. The shell is all brass, with score lines in the top. The rim is extremely close to a 12 gauge rim. The primer also appears like a 209-type shotshell primer. The shell feels to be full of powder when gently shaken. It appears like this shell may have been a propellant cartridge that was inserted into a larger shell. Please see photos and dimensional drawing below. Any information would be appreciated.

Dimensional drawing of the shell.

Top of the shell showing score lines.

Side view of the shell.

Head of the shell showing AAI C100 headstamp.

Thanks again for helping identify this shell.

12 gauge blank "AAI C100"

Hello, this is a AAI Corporation tear gas grenade blank and it was advertised with the High Standard Model 10 shotgun (other brands as well). I’ll post more information tomorrow.

It is a two-piece case if you look at the underside of the rim you will see the join. The body is attached / secured to the rim by the deep circular crimp

This cartridge was designated Blank Launching Cartridge Model C-100 and first offered c. 1965 with the first version of the AAI Grenade Launcher Model L-110. In about 1969 it was replaced by the more conventional Model C-200 cartridge using a normal brass/plastic case of 1.8" lenght and a very deep star crimp.

In this picture you can see both the C-100 and C-200 below a High Standard Model 10-A. The AAI launcher is the one on bottom.

Was the launcher designed around the action of a commercially available shotgun?

It appears to be a bullpup variation of a conventional (semi-auto?) shotgun action.

[quote=“Falcon”]Was the launcher designed around the action of a commercially available shotgun?

It appears to be a bullpup variation of a conventional (semi-auto?) shotgun action.[/quote]
shotgun is High Standard model 10, see: world.guns.ru/shotgun/usa/high-s … 10b-e.html

Here is more information from a High Standard brochure published in 1965:

Thanks for all the info and the awesome pictures of the launcher the cartridge is for and the catalog.