Aberdeen Proving Grounds Museum Closed

I was trying to do a follow up to a previous post, went to the Museum today and found it is closed to the public. It will remain so for about a year, and will reopen with, as the nice harried lady stated, about 70% gone. Some of it to Ft. Lee and some of it to Anniston, as I posted earlier. Most of the Armor and Artillery that was sitting out in the field is still there to wander about, but the question would be for how long. Don’t know what the disposition of the rounds upstairs or the bigger stash in the warehouse will be. Very disappointing.

One can only assume they weren’t getting enough traffic to justify their expenses. The U.S. really should have one central museum with all this hardware and munitions kept well for history’s sake. There’s lots of private museums but none of them have everything, only a few of this & that.

Unfortunately I think that as an organization, the US Army no longer really cares for history. They are too busy worrying about diversity, sensitivity training, don’t ask don’t tell, and collecting other historically interesting / 100% legal in this country weapons and running them over with tracks…

Patton would urinate all over the modern Army…

pzjgr

That’s pretty harsh. Patton has been dead for 65 years and we don’t know what he might do or say. I’ll agree that he probably would have said something like that about the political bureaucrats who now occupy the White House and Pentagon, but not about the Army and the Men and Women who serve.

JMHO

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]pzjgr

That’s pretty harsh. Patton has been dead for 65 years and we don’t know what he might do or say. I’ll agree that he probably would have said something like that about the political bureaucrats who now occupy the White House and Pentagon, but not about the Army and the Men and Women who serve.

JMHO

Ray[/quote]

I should have clarified…I certainly don’t think Patton would have anything bad to say about todays soldiers, but I think he’d have a lot to say about the organization as it currently is…

I was in (National Guard, to clarify) from 88-91, and there was a lot of (too much IMHO) touchy feely stuff starting then, but from friends who are still “in the biz” now, its just crazy now…

Ultimately whats wrong with the Army as an organization now is a different discussion, and probably not relevent to this website, but it irks me when I see the Army treating all this irreplaceable history like its so much scrap.

As I said, i was at Aberdeen probably 12 years ago or so, and it saddened me then to see the condition of most of the equipment out in the field, many of them one of a kind pieces…

At the very least the Army can find a large, good warehouse somewhere in its system to store everything out of the weather if they are not going to maintain them.

Please don’t take my remarks as disparaging the troops, just the beauracracy, and upper leadership. When the upper management spends more time thinking of new ways to tie the hands of the troops as opposed to thinking of better ways to kill the enemy and break things, there is a problem…

Working on APG as a contract UXO Tech has enlightened me. There have been MANY periods of culling of the Collection and Museum with one of a kind items either being buried or scrapped. Legend has it that one Higher Up years ago hid large things in the woods to avoid them being turned into paper clips by over zealous been counters.

All,

The APG Museum is leaving because it is considered part of the ordinance school and the ordinance school is moving to Ft. Lee. The museum was never government funded. The displays were kept up by donations and entrance fees. The latest word is that it will become the APG museum. Items not taken by the school will remain. The Electronic Comm. from Ft Monmuth is coming to APG and bring their museum with them. Post employees have been asked to locate items and identify for the new museum. The museum is now supposed to be APG geared. There are many museums on government bases. The armor museum is at Ft. Knox. Watervliet Arsenal has its own museum and there are many others.

Rookie

As posted in a prior thread:

Re: Trying to Identify Cartridge Case, 75x540
The Sky Sweeper pictured isn’t in as bad a condition as allot of the pieces, though they are refurbishing some of them. I don’t know if they have an example of the round in the upstairs portion, but I’ll check this weekend. Moderator, I know this next is kind of off topic but it also kind of pertains form a collector standpoint. What is the shame was seeing one of a kind items, like the cannon for the ME262 in the weather over by the Ordnance School. From what I’ve heard, once the BRAAC is finalized, the Ordnance School is going down to Ft. Lee and they are going to move the Museum also. The amount of items going will be limited, though the contents of the Vault (Small Arms) are supposed to be a priority. Whatever they have the money for will be sent, otherwise. All the rest will either go to Anniston or ?? What is also a question will be the disposition of all of the Inert Ordnance items that are housed in a warehouse on base. I’ve been all over the Base getting pictures of all of the armor that I can find, for I don’t know when I will see it next.

Ultimately, the Army owns the Ordnance items and if they see fit not to have them kept up, they will have further disposition of them. The point being, they’ve culled their items before when they saw fit and will inevitably do it again. Every time a Museum moves, it gets that much smaller.

“Everytime a Museum moves, it gets that much smaller.” How true and sad. Further, they never think or are willing to call in established, knowledgeable collectors to help decide what is rare and should be retained and what is common and, it it must, be culled out (nothing should be culled out really, except duplicate items of common quality). Then, to compound the felony, “culling” often means “destruction.” Sometimes they try to find homes for items with other museums that normally would not have the funds or the sources to get them - usually smaller, local museums. Virtually never private collections, no matter how important or even if they are open to the public, like many little but wonderful museums. The whole process is usually a historical tragedy, with one of a kind items gone forever.

John Moss

This really blows! That museum was top on my Bucket List! So sad that preserving history is no longer a priority anymore.