Adapter sub calibre L1A2

There have been a couple of topics re rds that have been for use in the Adapter Sub calibre, so I thought I’d give a brief overview of the Adapter as I had one. Hope it is of interest.

The Adapter, Sub-Calibre 6.5mm is for practice and used in the 84 mm Carl Gustav Anti-Tank L14A1 that used to be issued to the British Army. It is loaded into the weapon in exactly the same way as a proper anti tank rd.

Weight of adapter: 3.86 kg (8.5 lb)
Length of adapter: 495.3 mm (19.5 in)
Barrel
Length: 367.3 mm (14.47 in)
Calibre: 6.5 mm (0.256 in)

ADAPTER SUB CALIBER 6.5MM L1A2

The adapter is made up of basically the casing, the barrel and firing mechanism. The casing is similar in shape to the Anti tank rd. The firing mechanism is assembled in the base of the casing.

FIRING MECH FITTED IN THE ADAPTER

The Firing Mech must be taken out of the adapter to load the rds.

FIRING MECH

FIRING MECH WITH RD IN PLACE

The firing mech takes the practice rd and also if issued a rd to simulate the backblast. Both rds being fired at the same time.

PRACTICE RD FITS INTO THIS SLOT

BACKBLAST RD IS SCREWED IN AT THE REAR

There were 3 rds issued for use in the Adapter (in the British Army):

The 6.5mm Tracer, Reduced Load L10A1 white tip, half of head stained black
The 6.5mm Tracer, Reduced Load L11A1 red tip
The 6.5mm Sub Calibre Short Range L11A1 short roundnose bullet

6.5mm AMMUNITION

HEADSTAMPS

All the rds made at Karlsberg Munitions, Sweden.

I don’t think there was a rd issued in the british Army to simulate the Backblast although a rd was made and used by other countries.

(Any errors in the above are the fault of A, Jack Daniels & B, My Dog)

Armourer

Great photos and THANKS. Having just recently obtained one of the cartridges and the back-blast adapter, it now makes a lot more sense. I’ll copy this and put it in my files.

Ray

Are the second and third case of swiss made?Look swedish to me

You are correct, it is Swedish. My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.

Here is all we used in Canada.

They are Swedish as well. Canada then switched over to a 7.62 adapter and started to phase out the 6.5 version. We also did not use the backblast cartridges nor did I ever see one.

Thanks for posting - very interesting!

The 6.5mm Tracer, Reduced Load L10A1 white tip, half of head stained black
The 6.5mm Tracer, Reduced Load L11A1 red tip
The 6.5mm Sub Calibre Short Range L11A1 short roundnose bullet

I think you will find that both the white and red tipped tracer rounds are L10A1 in British service. Sweden changed the colour code for tracer from white to red during the life of this round so early deliveries were white, later ones red.

BTW, I hope you had a variation to your FAC for your 84mm adaptor round. It is after all a firearm!

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“TonyE”]BTW, I hope you had a variation to your FAC for your 84mm adaptor round. It is after all a firearm!

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

It’s deactivated. (sadly)

Great pics of the adaptor mechanism Armourer. Attached factory drawings of cartridges as made for the UK.

Regards, JohnP-C

and that is why the Forum is the “greatest”

what a fine example of sharing an insightful aspect of one’s collection…very cool

(PS…“got’s” to love those color tips !!)

(I’ve had the rounds for 10+/- years…and never laid eyes on the “gizmo”)

Pepper