Afghan-made ammunition

Hi all,

I am working on a research article examining Martini-Henry rifles, and the subject of Afghan-made cartridges has come up.

According to contemporary sources, the Kabul Arsenal produced small-calibre ammunition. It appears they produced .577 Snider cartridges, and it seems likely that they produced .577-450 as well.

Does anyone have information or (particularly) images regarding ammunition produced in Afghanistan that they can share? I should note that it is of course possible that such cartridges were produced without headstamps.

Many thanks in advance.

I have a Pakistani made 577/450. Khyber pass most likely

I’d certainly be interested in seeing it. I have seen a couple of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region cartridges marked with multiple ‘S’ symbols, and another with multiple asterisks.

See this thread for one discussed on the BOCN.

Rouge,

In 1896 the Kabul arsenal was turning out 10,000 Snider and Martini Henry cartridges per day.
See my article on this arsenal in the journal #520.

Jim Buchanan

That’s my casing haha, for The time I had no clue.

Interestingly, 1870s Afghan-made .577 Snider cartridges used drawn-brass cases.

If anyone has a copy of Hoyem Vol. 2 (or other sources which mention Afghanistan), please get in touch. Mine is in a box on another continent!

Jim, I intend to cite your article in the piece I am working on. It would be good to be in touch.

Rouge,

No problem
my email is in the IAA directory.
Jim