AFV / Artillery

aa

For those of you who are (unfortunately) too far away from Maryland, here are photos of Aberdeen Museum on the outside. Cool stalls in men’s WC too (last shot).

I definitely have to go there again. I don’t have a lot of hope a Congress dominated by the PC dimwits will approve funds to save this vital bit of history. We’ve already lost FA and when I took my kids to Springfield many years ago, we were the only visitors there. :-(

Ideally, this should be a separate section of the Smithsonian!

I can tell you based upon nearly 40 years of association with the Smithsonian that they don’t care about military ordnance. The last person who did was Crad. Goines and he died years ago. They will not spend a cent on such things. Since the initial staff of the Air and Space Museum left-retired-died and have been replaced by professional museum folks they want very little to do with such things. I have been trying for 5 years to get back into my display at NASM to clean up a few things and do some small repairs- they just don’t care. The Army doesn’t either. During the Clinton administration they closed ALL of the base EOD museums. They closed FA,Picatinny Museum, now Aberdeen. The big new museums like the D-Day in New Orleans, Marine Corps at Quantico and the WW2 museum coming to Ft. Belvior are based upon SCENES not hardware displays. Most museums consider their hardware collections to be a bother and most are not available for public use. The Marine Corps has remarkable stores of historical arms captured over hundreds of years at Quantico in STORAGE not display. Museums are built for TOURISTS not collectors or researchers.

Wow! That really blows! Too bad the Smithsonian does not care. They really should be fired-up to preserve this history and have a special section/building just for ordnance over the years. Museums with “PAINTED SCENES”, totally suck.

The scenes do have hardware in them not just paint. If you want to get the Smithsonian interested try :MODERN ART, NATIVE AND ETHNIC ART AND CRAFTS , PAGAN RELIGIOUS ITEMS OR AIRCRAFT(IF YOU WANT TO DONATE A ZILLION DOLLARS TO BUILD A BUILDING WITH YOUR NAME ON IT TO KEEP THEM IN). DON’T GET ME WRONG- THE NEW AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM AT DULLES IS FANTASTIC ; ENOLA GAY, SPACE SHUTTLE, FABRIC BIPLANES TO MODERN JETS AND SOME OF THE RAREST WW2 JAPANESE AND GERMAN AIRCRAFT IN EXISTENCE.LIGHT ON RUSSIAN STUFF AS USUAL. A #1 GO TO DESTINATION. $12 TO PARK BUT THE MUSEUM IS FREE AND YOU CAN TAKE A FREE SHUTTLE BUS FROM THE NASM DOWNTOWN IF YOU LIKE.

The Ordnance Museum is currently open to the public 7 days a week from 9-4.45. You MUST get a day pass at the guard gate by presenting a photo driver’s license. They have reduced the ammo display considerably but it is WORTH THE TRIP while it still exists. This is an ACTIVE military base under WARTIME conditions. Don’t go exploring.

What kind of gun is that on the train tracks? It is HUDGE! Must fire a big projectile!! Is it larger then our Navy 16’s?

That is Leopold. The last remaing German railway gun. Also called Anzio Annie it shelled our troops at Anzio for days by ducking back into a tunnel after firing. I will put up some photos of gun and ammo.

GERMAN K5(e) 28CM KANONE (EISENBAHN) - 280MM Railroad cannon type 5. To our knowledge this is the last existing German railway gun. We had hoped that the Soviets had taken some back with them and that they would show up later. So far this has not happened. If any of the Russians have seen a big gun like this in their area please take a picture. This high velocity long range gun fired a pre-rifled projectile. There is one welded to the mount in the photo. The photo is the cutaway base fuzed HE which was the typical load. The ballistic cap is missing.

That is just increadible! Your photos are awesome too! Thanks for the great, detailed information. I bet it hurled that massive projectile a ways. I would hate to be the loader.

Loading was easy getting the shells and cases out of the storage and transport wagons was the hard part even on a nice day.

About 15 years ago the French found such a thing in some forgotten corner of a huge factory. It is now on display in a Normandy museum.

web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/bt.html
web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/pics7.html

For letting the stuff rot away these folks should go to jail.

If you want, you can actually be THE LOADER. There is a computer game called Wolfenstein-Enemy Territory, in it you are to go to this rail-gun and load’n’fire it in order to win. You control the action, if you like this idea, talk to me.

Is that officialy the largest gun in world history? Thanks for the info on the loading simulation. I am not much of a gamer and kinda suck with computers :-)

I have a 24 CM case for a railway gun. does anyone have a picture of the cannon. The case is 247mm x 660mm. It is factory new and has never been fired. I bought it from an antique store that thought it was an umbralla stand!!

VERY Cool! Would love to see a pic of your casing if you can. I wonder how many of those guns were ever made?

The Germans had a couple of dozen railway guns of their own design and another dozen or more captured French, etc. culminating in the 80cm DORA guns.

[quote=“EOD”]About 15 years ago the French found such a thing in some forgotten corner of a huge factory. It is now on display in a Normandy museum.

web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/bt.html
web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/pics7.html

For letting the stuff rot away these folks should go to jail.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. They look in need of some serious local volunteer help. Their gun looks very much like leopold but the shell they show is not the right shell for the K5(e). I wonder if they know much about the gun ? No email to ask.

It would be cool seeing footage of the factory and machinery that actualy built those. They are increadible. Are they officialy the largest gun ever built?

The 800mm “Dora” is the largest gun ever built.
It was used only once against Sevastopol and needed not one but 2 parallel rails.
aopt91.dsl.pipex.com/railgun … 0index.htm

And here some more images:
images.google.de/images?hl=en&q= … a=N&tab=wi