Age of 27x145B Mauser round

I have a Radway Green steel cased 27x145B Mauser round, is there any way a date can be deciphered from the headstamp? There is no obvious 2 or 4 digit date. The headstamp is:
“27x145 DM 1001 LOS RG - 1 - 014 - X”

• @ Falcon: Very good question! I also have a fired steel case 27X145 which is headstamped “27X145 DM 1001” over “LOT RG-2-11-X”. Falcon, are you sure your shell case is headstamped with “LOS” and not “LOT”??? I’m sure the lot number is connected with a date of manufacture [at least in the official records of manufacture]. Liviu 06/16/07

• @ Falcon: The shell case is belted and in my lines posted above it should be mentioned as “27X145B”, not only “27X145”. Sorry for my mistake. Liviu 06/16/07

It definitely is “LOS” not “LOT”

When marked with “LOS” it should have been produced for Germany.

So are you saying this round was made by Radway Green for Germany?

Yes, it is the German word for “LOT”.

Even without the use of “LOS” for LOT, the German connection is immediately obvious due to the type number of “DM 1001”. This is the German equivalent of a US “M” or British “L” type number. All German munitions have a “DM” type descriptor which presumably stands for “Deutsch Munition”.

Regards
TonyE

The following designations are used (not only on ammunition):

DM = Deutsches Modell = German Model

DT = Deutscher Truppenversuch = German Troop Trial

DE = Deutsche Erprobung = German Evaluation/Test

Actually German “DM” designations are used a lot with countries which adopted German ammuniton. These exported items usually have a “LOT” marking then and regarding language markings.
I have seen plenty of German ammo items with at least half the NATO countries.

The inter-marriage of ordnance companies is quite remarkable.

I have another one of these that has been used as a copper crusher pressure test round (hole in case and notch in rim). It is also fitted with an odd cast resin projectile, which is odd because it has genuine looking markings. This is obviously made for the UK by Radway as the headstamp is: “27x145 DM 1001 LOT RG - 1 - 095 - X”. It still remains unanswered as to how to put a date to these.

The date is only known by the manufacturer and the MOD of the UK.

I too have some of these resin cast 27x145 rounds. I bought them years ago to join a few links together. The man who made the projectiles made his mould from flexible silicon rubber and an original projectile. The quality of the mould and casting carries the original stampings of the projectile through to the finished inert round. He used whatever cases he could obtain, hence the fired pressure test case on yours.

gravelbelly

So that explains it. Mine is painted black with a red stripe for AP Hard core. I thought these resin projectiles actually served some sort of purpose as they had actual stampings. Any idea where I would get an original solid steel projectile? I have another case with a turned replica steel projectile.

Even though I do not have any of these rounds, this thread just thought me allot about the “DM” and “LOS” markings. I have a really nice, inert German 105MM APFSDS round (THANKS CSA), that is marked DM128 and also has LOS in a few places. It was made by Rheinmetall. I have learned threw research that this German made round was made as a TP round to match the trajectories of US M735, M774, and M833 tactical rounds out to about 7000 meters before it falls to the ground from aerodynamic destabilization. Anyhow, Germany sells these to multiple countries as does the US for its tactical 105’s. Anyhow, one of the # sequences has “US” in its thread. It reads, LOS RH-US-004. I always wondered what LOS meant. It is amazing how so many countries and ammunition factories work together and buy & sell each others ammo. These relationships are interesting. FYI, the M1A1’s main gun is a Rheinmetall design built under license in the General Dynamic US plant. Go figure. Sorry if this was slightly off subject to the 27MM, the relevancy to me was the lesson of the DM and LOS that I learned and connected to the 105 :-) I’m starting to connect the dots!

Jason, here is a photo of the 27x145B Mauser round in question and some other bigbore stuff.

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:

1. 30x173 GAU 8/A (A-10 Thunderbolt)
  2. 27x145B Mauser (Panavia Tornado)
  3. 25x137 Oerlikon KBA (Used on newer Harrier jump jets in 25mm DEFA cannon)
  4. 30x113 (M240 Chain gun on AH-64 Apache helicopter)
  5. 20x102 (Vulcan Cannon, F-16 and many others)
  6. .50 BMG (US M3 HMG on P-51 and many more. Also M2 HMG, most famously used as defensive guns on B-17 Bombers in the air role, but also used as defensive and offensive weapons on ground based vehicles, still in use today.)

Here is the delivery system for the 27x145B Mauser round. The cannon is known as the Mauser BK-27 and is a single-barreled revolver cannon:

The aircraft is a Panavia Tornado IDS (Interdictor Strike) or ground attack, which can be determined from the shorter nose radome. This was designed and first built in the 1970s as a joint project between The UK, Italy and Germany.

About this time last year one of these did a low pass at high speed over our school after taking off from the nearby airbase (RAF Northolt) after a small airshow there. One girl ran away screaming thinking we were about to be all wiped out by a few thousand pounds of high explosive. Much laughter followed. She really needs to learn to recognise friendly aircraft! ;-)

Thank you so much Falcon!!! Great photos and awesome airshow story. Must have been hilarious! Really appreciate your help with “Visual Aids”.

Jason

No problem, 2 1/2 months school holiday, I have time on my hands. The airshow incident was hilarious, the same girl also wouldn’t go near a .303 British Round I had on my keyring as she didn’t trust me that it wouldn’t go off!

It is paranoia like that that leads to stupid gun and ammo laws.

ABSOLUTLY!!!