AGM-62 Walleye TV-Guided Glide Bomb

Not ammo, but def ordnance.

Walley borrowing Sidewinder money!

3 Likes

No ammo? I must have failed badly in my training. :grin:
Maybe “no cartridges” but this is more ammo than 99% of what we are discussing here for years…

2 Likes

55:55 … RIP pilot

1 Like

pointed star linear shaped charge

ETA

Walleye1 500lb explosive
W2 2000lb explosive

1 Like

I used to have a guidance gyro from this system. TOTALLY AMMUNITION!

Jason

2 Likes

BTW: the video is a great documentation !!!

1 Like

@EOD This is the channel that posted the walleye video. They have a BUNCH of historic china lake videos. I’m watching the one about Sidewinder right now.

Seems like I have the small tail unit and seeker head/camera someplace, but I don’t see the pictures in my work files. I’ll have to look and see if I can find them and take some photos this weekend.

1 Like

As promised. Here are the nose and tail elements for the Walleye. The tail piece weighs about 50lbs, the nose piece 80-90lbs. As a bonus I’ve included a couple of additional nose elements that I’ve held on to over the years, see if you recognize them.

2 Likes

The green one is laser based?

1 Like

Negative. In about 2001 I was invited to participate in a teardown on some missiles that had to be destroyed to meet treaty obligations. What I really wanted was one of the submunitions inside, but we couldn’t figure out a way to empty them. Burn out and they detonated, steam out, the same. 3-4 different solvents didn’t touch the explosive. In the end I took the nose and one fin from one of the missiles home with me.
Tochka.

2 Likes

Any idea what the focal lenght is on the camera lens, and who manufactured it?

In the second image the front elelment has a small mirror, like a Catadioptric lens. I have never seen one with less than a 500mm equivalent focal length.

I have two, one made by Nikon 6" high by 3.5" wide, and one from a dozen or more makers in Japan and Europe, 3.5" high by 2.5" wide, not the best optics, but you can get remarkably decent images, on occasion.

2 Likes

Interesting! The color was familiar…
What are the 2 axial windows for then? On the 9N123F warhead these are windows for the lasers.

2 Likes

I don’t have a pub on it, but the explanation from my Czech hosts (trying to remember nearly 20 years ago), was “eyes” that were judging distance and orientation to coordinate with the fuzing. They were impressed that the Soviets had placed two eyes on one side only, knowing that the trajectory would bring the warhead in at a 20 degree (ish, my memory) angle off vertical. The unitary HE warhead was also placed into the skin at the same angle, ensuring its position as perpendicular at the time of detonation and giving near perfect dispersion of the fragments. Someplace I have pictures of the maintenance posters that the Soviets were so fond of, they clearly show all of this. Plus my highly desired submunitions. The posters were the only documentation that the Czechs had for the missiles and were the guidance used for disassembly.

2 Likes

As it is not a commercial piece there is none of the typical 35mm SLR lens markings that we are used to. Only a couple of acceptance stamps and lower down a Bell and Howell part number and S/N.

3 Likes

Jeff, the HE warhead is the one with the angled position and the laser. So says the manual.
The submunition version I have documented has no laser windows in the cone.

Of course this is not the last word of wisdom. Maybe we are just missing documents - as so often.

The 9N123K submunition warhead.

The 9E118 laser unit for the 9N123F HE warhead.

1 Like

Here the said angled 9N310 payload unit of the 9N123F warhead.

2 Likes

I still want one of the submunitions.

2 Likes

I’ll look briefly in the morning and see if I can find any of my pictures from that visit. They may be before I went digital, so it could be a tough hunt.

Not sure if I am reading this correctly, or no, but I do not get it.
W: Would not an angled warhead change the center of gravity, and cause the munition to “skew” of axis on its’ flight to target?
Or is that something to do with the aiming/directional control?