AGM-62 Walleye TV-Guided Glide Bomb

Actually not, the angled warhead has just to be balanced axially. I guess the Russians considered that.

2 Likes

Thanks.

It’s funny, I remember all the videos of DesterStorm1 of bombs flying into buildins… thinking it was tomahawks and LGBs… The lowly walleye gave TV all of their action shots.

1 Like

Shortly after, Desert Storm (DS), I purchased this very heavy, glass lens. The seller told me that it was from, DS, from one of the bombs we used with a camera behind it. He said it was from the bomb that we watched on, TV going threw specific windows in designated targets. I wonder if it is from a, Walleye? It has got to weigh over 5 pounds? Super heavy with special coatings.

Jason

2 Likes

WOW that is thick. That looks like armor glass.

1 Like

Not from Walleye, nor from HOBO either. The front glass on mine is not secured and I can pop it right out. It is not light, but only maybe a quarter inch thick. On my HOBO (gold colored item above) the glass is secured, but appears to be very similar to Walleye. That does not look like any glass or lens that I’ve seen on ordnance before.

Looks like two elements cemented together. Any guess as to the magnification?
I wonder about the colour of the darker element?
It look remarkably similar to some “Rare Earth” [read: very low radioactive] lenses that were made in the 20 or so years after WWII ended. They really made B&W images pop, better than using a yellow filter for contrast.
I had a couple from Pentax that would expose print paper and film in the darkroom after less then one hour of exposure, man was that a kick!

Jason - looking at the background of your photos gives a glimpse of your phenomenal collection of APFSDS rounds, sabots, and penetrators. Any chance that you would be willing to share a few photos of your collection? It would be much appreciated.
Tom

1 Like

I think he did in another thread no?
Just finding it…