Aguila IQ fuzzy core?

I was recently taking a close look at the remains of a fired Aguila IQ .40 bullet. It had the typical 4 parts which had fragmented upon impact into whatever soft medium they were recovered from - 3 vertical side pieces, and a base. I noticed that aside from looking smooth on the outside and looking like pot-metal on the inside edges, there were tiny, white, fuzzy asbestos-like fibers emanating from the rough looking inner core part of each piece. Anybody have any ideas on this stuff?

Are you sure the fibers or whatever they are are part of the projectile and not something picked up from whatever medium the projectile was fired into.

I’ve seen bits of wood and whatnot stuck to fired projectiles, and after firing a variety of hollow point projectiles into ballistic nylon vests, found bits of the nylon fibers in the hollow cavities…

Pics?

I suspected that the stuff was just lint at first and that it was just stuck to the jagged exposed edge of the core material, which like I said before, has the qualities of pot-metal - (cheap and ruff). The pic below shows me holding one of the 3 vertical bullet-wall pieces upside-down. So the fibers were seen on the exposed core-edge of the bottom of that piece. Here is a photo of what I originally saw (very hard to zoom in on this):

I actually just tried burning the fibers off from the edge and they don’t burn - interesting…
And so then I cut one of the bullet pieces in half to expose a new edge of core, and I picked at it with a probe tool which is like a dentist’s pick, and I actually pried out some more of the asbestos-like fibers and I got this much better photo of it:

If I pick at any part of the exposed bullet core with the probe tool, I get these little wispy fibers that don’t burn. Some parts of the bullet have more than others, so it isn’t 100% uniform in its distribution. What the heck!? Assuming that it might be asbestos (I don’t know what other fiber could survive being sintered in metal), what would the advantage of this be in a bullet? A binder material to hold it together like roots? If it is asbestos, and if these were still being imported (they are not), then I assume the CPSC would have something to say about it.

I don’t believe Aguila is even MAKING the IQ anymore, but the rounds I tested were made out of swaged zinc; I’d have to believe that you just got one with some weird inclusion in it.

I know the IQ is out of production, I’m just saying if asbestos, then apparently asbestos flies in Mexico, but it would not in the U.S. I wonder if at some point they started throwing any other junk into their mix? I know the main component was supposed to be zinc as far as everything heard about this bullet, but it looks like some kind of loosely sintered compound. I have another pulled 9mm bullet that I will check for core content…

DK, that stuff looks like blown in insulation. Don’t know about in your area but in CA it has to be non flammable but not asbestos. Wonder if that was what the shooter was using for a catch material. Am wondering if Aguila ever used red roof tile clay as a bullet core ha,ha. England used clay wedges in the early minnie ball muzzle loaders before they figured out the chamber pressure would expand the base without any help!

Gourd

I took apart a 9mm Aguila IQ bullet last night, and it had no fuzz in its core. I continued to check the original fired .40 bullet that I had and the fibers do indeed come from within it - weird… Maybe some pipe insulation fell into the mix from the ceiling of the production building? Sounds silly.

My two cents worth.No binder like that.Only thing ‘good’ about that ammo was the whizzzzzzz noise it made going down range.Two hundred rounds later all that was decided was that I regreted buying it and I certainly wasn’t going to depend on it as a defensive round…Average 1/3 fragment weight was 1.07 gr.How much damage you going to do with that?

The Aguila IQ round in 9mmP has excellent penetration characteristics on some barrier materials. They rounds generally have very low recoil, but bright, ‘sparky’ muzzle blast.

The rounds I’ve seen tested in 9mmP and .40SW did not meet minimum requirements for penetration (less than 8" in clothed ord gel), and the separation/track of the fragments were inconsistent.

I’d like to see more ammunition manufacturers doing more with synthetics, alloys, etc. Sadly the current regulations on manufacture and importation of ammunition stifle development, while poorly informed demand for non-toxic ammunition pushes it in the wrong direction.