AK-47 drum pouch

A Chinese AK-47 drum magazine with a Chinese shoulder carrier. The pouch has 2 side flaps which cover magazine sides before the main flap comes down to close the whole thing. One of those side flaps has a small pocket. Also, there is a larger side pocket on the outer side of the pouch. What did these 2 pockets contain originally?

If the pocket has a rubber-like liner, then it is probably for the oil and solvent bottle for the cleaning kit. My Chinese AK 30 rd. magazine chest pouch has this type of pocket and my Chinese SKS chest pouches have one slightly larger pocket on one end presumably to house cleaning gear as well.
My Hungarian 30 rd. AK mag pouch had a pocket for the solvent and oil bottles on one side and one for the tool kit that normally went in the buttstock on the other side. Presumably the Chinese soldier issued the Type-81 LMG (?) only had drums, so would need some pockets to carry his cleaning gear. To keep this topic ammunition related, it is interesting that Chinese 7.62x39mm Tracer and Incendairy cartridges were identified not only by a colored tip, but also by a solid colored primer that matched the colored tip. The earliest example of this “new” marking style I know of is around 1968. Presumably this marking style facilitated the identification of the cartridges being loaded into the rear-loading drum magazine.

AKMS

AKMS,

Chinese 7,62x39 were not always identified by the primer annulus colour = tip colour.
The earliest transition from kind of transparent p.a. to pigmented I saw at plant 71’s API:

year / annulus / tip colour
64 / transparent / black+red
65 / black / black+red

By the way, the next step was to omit the red in the tip colour. Plant 71 went
66 / black / black+red
67 / black / black

Hans