AMAZING Military Ammunition Resource - PEO AMMUNITION SYSTEMS

Found this online last night and figured I would share it. Some incredible photos, information and factory data on a tremendous amount of US Military ammunition of all types.

I of course was thrilled to discover all of the information and photos on US adopted tank ammunition, right up to the M829A4, the latest greatest 120mm APFSDS round in the world.

Jason

Jason, thanks a lot! I did not have this edition.

1 Like

For those interested in 9 mm, this publication solves the questions about the use of hollow-point 9 mm ammunition by American military personnel.

“The MK 243 Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) Cartridge is required for use in situation where high lethality and limited over-penetration of target are necessary to meet mission profile. This ammunition is critical for providing enforcement agents with means to reapidly incapacitate dangerous criminals in situations warranting the use of deadly force…”

“…restricted to Law Enforcement use (Hollow Point Ammo banned by International Treaties for Military Conflict).”

"All Army stocks placed in ammo condition code B (restricting use to Army Law Enforcement in the continental U.S., Hawaii, Alaska, and U.S. Territories).

So, as far as the military is concerned, it seems it is only used by Military Police and at U.S. and U.S. Territorial bases only. It is not issued for military combat. Of course, there are many overseas situations that are not “military combat.” Terrorists who wear no uniforms are not soldiers, but rather criminals, and not entitled to treaty provisions regarding enemy soldiers. So, it puzzles me that the JHP ammo is not issued for use against terrorists overseas, where US troops are engaged.

John Moss

John, you mean you are puzzled that they are not telling.
Other countries (for example in Afghanistan) do too.

The German military police is using the Action 5.
Funny they can use this ammo to shoot the own people and not those people who seriously deserve it.

1 Like

Precisely my point. As to use of this ammunition abroad, my comments are base on me not having seen any hard evidence that 9 mm HP ammunition is being used overseas. The use of 7.62 NATO HP ammunition, match grade ammunition primarily for snipers, was covered in a US Judge Advocate General’s decision, as I recall, since the bullets are not designed for expansion.

John

With handgun or rifle, if you want fast incapacitation, shot placement alone decides the outcome.
Using defomation bullets against an enemy may emotionally be relieving, but can’t stop him if you fail to hit the small area that is needed for a fast effect.
We will see what happens, when the other side starts to use “legal fragmenting bullets, because fragmenting is not deformation” of the M855A1/M80A1 design, to maim U.S. troops.
The uselessness of Dum-Dum bullets for winning wars, was what made the 1899 Hague declaration of the main European powers possible in the first place. If they were useful to win, the declaration would have never been agreed upon.

I will repeat. I have never seen any hard evidence that U.S. Troops use “legal fragmenting bullets.” I don’t know exactly what fragmenting bullets mean - any bullet hitting thick enough bone can (usually does not) fragment to a lesser or greater degree depending on bullet design, but they are designed to expand.

I will not get into the technicalities of Wound Ballistics here, since that is not what the forum is really about, but there are factors beyond simply shot placement that determine the effectiveness of any particular gun shot wound to incapacitate quickly the person shot… Shot placement is, of course, an important major factor. Talk to a hunter about “bleed out.”

Soldier’s are often maimed in war, with or without the use of “fragmenting bullets.” Nothing in the Haque Declaration concerning the use of hand grenades, Improvised explosive munitions, land mines, HE artillery rounds, aerial bombs, flame throwers, incendiary ammunitions, rocket launchers, etc ad nuseum.

John Moss

1 Like

Well said JPeelen