Amberite

HI Everybody,

Now we have some more input on british shotshells, I thought I ask/show the following cases.
All are fired but still collectable, at least to me.

Can anybody tell me something about these shells??
Anything is more than welcome.

Many regards rené

AMBERITE WAS ONE OF THE EARLY, CIRCA 1892-1894, BRITISH SMOKELESS POWDERS. IT WAS OF BULK TYPE THEREFORE COULD BE LOADED AS BLACK POWDER. CURTISS & HARVEY, LTD. APPEAR TO BE THE SOLE MANUFACTURER OF THE POWDER. I SUSPECT THAT YOUR SHELLS WERE LOADED WITH THIS TYPE OF POWDER WHEN THEY WERE MANUFACTURED.

Very nice cases, I have never seem this type before. As mentioned Amberite was a powder made by Curtis & Harvey, and due to headstamp from the period 1920-1926 just before I.C.I.

Some other Amberlite. The one on the left has a Eley London No 16 headstamp, the others are as the one with the white-out in the headstamp.

I have a hunch / guess that your Eley Nobel headstamped cases may have been marketed / sold in Australia or New Zealand, even though they say Made in Gt. Britain.

Hi Pete,

I have added a few more types to the discussion, as you can see one is actually a cartridge called the Amberite and not a “loaded with” cartridge.

The first is the same as your left hand cartridge I think from what I can see in the picture (different print layout and colour of course).

Side View

Head Stamp

Now with no Eley shield.

Side View 1

Side View 2

Head Stamp

Over Shot Card

Now this is what I think is the same as Rene’s case?

Side View 1

Side View 2

Over Shot Card

Head Stamp

Your thoughts ?

I think C&H sold cartridges called Amberite and not just as a loaded with!!

Mike.

Hi Mike
Yes your right, indeed a brand name & not a loaded with. However my 16 bore Eley on the left does say “loaded with”. Never ends does it!

The three with the dragon / griffin ? do not say “loaded with” but just note Amberite Smokeless Powder & only one (the 16 b) has a Made in Gt. Britain line, otherwise the case print is complete as shown on the two 12’s.

TOPWADS (and lets use the correct term*) on the two loaded dragons variations are as you show with the Hounslow loading (size) C&H, no note of Amberite.

*Explanation to others, a running joke about “over shot card” vs “topwad” terminology.

Rene/Pete,

Some more variations on them;

So there are cases from just about every British case manufacture, the Kynoch one has rather an unusual OSC.

Mike.

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]
I have a hunch / guess that your Eley Nobel headstamped cases may have been marketed / sold in Australia or New Zealand, even though they say Made in Gt. Britain.[/quote]

Hi pete,

Could be, as far as I can remember they are all sent to me from either Australia or New Zealand.

Thanks for your input, you show some very nice ones.

Regards rené

Hi Mike,

Some great ones you show, especially the Pegamoid one.

You could be right about the C&H using Amberite as a brand name.
Prhaps one day we will find the proof of this.

Wil have a good look and see if I can show some more variations.

Regards rené

As promised,

Here are all the Amberite cases I have.

The last two are from Australia.

regards rené

Early Nitrocellulose Powders ( and Double-ase NitroCellulose and Niroglycerine as well) were not “coated” or “Graphited”, so the flakes/discs etc.were “Natural Colour” , varying from a brown ( Italian Solenite) to an amber yellow through to an almost “Calico White” colour ( c/f “Poudre Blanc” of the French Lebel cartridge).

“Amberite” was a trademark given to the Powder, ( C&H) and served to differentiate it from the Newly introduced “Cordite” ( also yellowy colour, but in “cords” for military use). It is well known that the Term “Cordite” is synonymous in the British world to the uninitiated to "Smokeless "Powder ( irrespective of the real composition).

That some of the cartridges are Marked “Amberite” as if it were the brand of Cartridge, may be just a “Printer’s Devil” during the development of the labelling. There are sufficient "Loaded with " markings to indicate that “Amberite” was a trade Mark of a particular type of Powder used in Shotshells by various makers, and relevant Trade Mark Laws required the distinction.

Doc AV