American 30 cal cartridge converted to Danish 7,62x51 dummy

Also at the recent Bisley meeting I found a 30 cal (7,62x63) cartridge converted into a 7,62x51 dummy. It is headstamped ‘DEN 42’ with a fired brass primer ring crimped into the case. There are 4 flutes along the body, stopping well short of the shoulder and the bullet is retained with a coned crimp.

Does anyone know the story of this case … the usual why, why and where would be interesting to know.

Happy collecting, Peter

I believe these were made up by Haerens in Denmark and were designated Eksercerpatron m/62. Denmark also used US .30-06 cases to make up many of their 7.62mm Grenade cartridges.

I saw a whole 50 round MG42 belt full of these at a flea market earlier in the year. I meant to post on here at the time asking who made them but I forgot all about it. If they are around in quantities for a member of the public to fill a 50 round belt, it suggests to me that some must have been recently surplused.

Jim is spot on.
Headstamps known to me are:
LC 42
LC 43
SL 43
SL 45
DM 42
43 TW
DEN 42
U 43
They are still in use, but some always gets lost. Mine came from an MG3 belt (yes, german, 1944) stuffed into an oil barrel at a scrap merchants.

Soren

Have seen them by the box not long ago and plenty of loose ones. They are around for years now.

[quote=“mausernut”]…
Headstamps known to me are:
LC 42
LC 43
SL 43
SL 45
DM 42
43 TW
DEN 42
U 43
They are still in use, but some always gets lost …
Soren[/quote]

Hi Søren
You can add these to your list:
DEN 43
DM 43
RA 57
WRA 45
And I’m sure some more can be found.