American Cal .30 (30-06) dummy cartridges

Looking through some .30 Cal US dummies I’m struck by the continuity of design through the years with very few variations. The picture below is not set out to show the progression of these variations, I’ve arranged it solely by year of production on the headstamp. Where dummies have been made from rejected components these might have been in storage for some time before use, putting them out in the chronological sequence.

The details of each are;

FA 18 nickled case, unstruck domed primer, 2 holes in case
FA 27 nickled case, unstruck domed primer, 6 flutes, 1 hole in flutes, coned crimp
FA 31. nickled case, unstruck domed primer, 6 flutes, 3 holes in flutes, coned crimp with annular crimp on neck
FA 42 nickled case, empty pocket, coned crimp
FA 43 brass case, empty pocket, 6 flutes, coned crimp
FA 4 steel case, rough surface, empty pocket, 6 flutes, coned crimp
FA 4 steel case, passivated zinc finish, empty pocket, 6 flutes, coned crimp
FA 4 steel case, rough surface, blind pocket, 3 holes in case, no core in bullet
FA.51. brass case, blind pocket, 3 holes in case, coned crimp
FA 55 brass case, blind pocket, 6 flutes, coned crimp with knurled crimp on neck

I’d be interested in seeing any other variations that folk might have.

Happy collecting,

Peter

Peter

Great photo and a great lineup. I especially liked your subject line. ;-)

Having interest in Match and competition cartridges, I can add 3 to the list. I don’t have a photo but could take one if anyone is interested.

1. FA 2 08, brass NM case, domed copper primer, CN bullet, one very small hole midway in case body, annular crimp on neck.

2. FA 30, Cal .30 Range Dummy - brass case, domed nickel primer, GM bullet, slot in body above the base.

3. FA 30, Cal .30 Range Dummy - brass case, domed brass primer, GM bullet, tiny hole in slot (Slot-hole Dummy).

Ray

Ray,

Thank you very much.

I wanted a title that covered all bases because one thing that really bugs me is knowing I’ve seen something mentioned on here but being unable to find it because search can’t track it down.

Thanks too for mentioning the Range Dummies, I hadn’t forgotten them, the reason there’s not one in the lineup is that in nearly 8 years of looking for dummies here in the UK a Range Dummy has never crossed my path, let alone slipped into my palm in return for lucre.

Peter

Peter . . . . .

variations enough.
Here is a quick peek into one of the the dummy drawers (All Frankford Arsenal except one of the chromed ones)

cheers
René

sorry I have tried to upload some photo’s but hasn’t worked, I have -

RG 64 30 Nickled case, 3 flutes, red in flutes, gm bullet empty pocket painted red, rolled crimp.
RG 60 30 Brass case, no flutes or holes, two cannulas round GM bullet 1 at the crimp line and 1 above, no crimp.
RA 40 Nickled case, 3 flutes, light pea green paint in flutes, heavy factory type crimp, empty primer pocket but with a heavy round primer crimp.
FA 31. Nickled case, no flutes, 4 medium holes, CN bullet, wooden distance piece inside, 4 short line crimp, struck flat primer with light primer crimp ring.
R . A 42 Brass case, 4 large holes, No distance piece, rolled crimp, struck flat primer with heavy primer crimp ring.
RA 42 Brass case, 4 small holes, red wooden distance piece, CN bullet, light factory type crimp, struck flat primer with heavy primer crimp ring.
F . A 29 brass case, 4 small holes, No distance piece, GM bullet, no crimp, struck rounded primer with light primer crimp ring.
FA 30 brass case, 4 small holes, red wooden distance piece, red wooden bullet, no crimp, un fired flat primer with light primer crimp
FA 33 bras case, 4 small holes, red wooden distance piece, red wooden bullet, factory type crimp, fired flat primer with light primer crimp

I also have 2 that look like a type of cast alloy possible aluminium, very dull in colour. they have 2 long deep flutes that look like they have been machined in after casting, both are hollow one has rounded over edges at the bottom and around the primer hole/hollow centre and the other has been left square. no headstamps at all.

I also have one that has been machined out of steel is hollow and the bullet is a lot shorter it has 30.06 stamped on the bottom could this be some kind of armourers gauge.

cheers I will try and phot any you would like to see Peter but I don’t have a very good camera.

Richard.

Is that purple one made of plastic?

yes, solid plastic with brass case head empty primer pocket (cone shaped) without a hole. Total weight 193 grain.
See Punnett 30-06 page 366. apparently made for Frankford Arsenal around 1945.

René

No one has yet mentioned the Franford Arsenal 50th Anniversary of the 30-06 cartridge dummy round. It has a polished tinned, nickel or chromed case (I am not a metallurgist and have no direct knowledge of what the plating is)a normal GM spitzer bullet, and a brass primer with a hole in the center of the primer cup. The headstamp is:

(Ord Bomb) US FA (Ord Bomb) 1906-56

Where I have put “Ord Bomb” is the actual depiction of the U. S. Army Ordnance “Flaming Bomb” caricature.

There is also what I think is a loaded round, with normal bullet, brass case, and brass primer cup. I have never pulled the bullet to see if there is powder in it, and will not pull it, but I don’t think FA would make a dummy that looks so much like a lethal cartridge, even for commemoration. The headstamp is the same as shown above.

yes, solid plastic with brass case head empty primer pocket (cone shaped) without a hole. Total weight 193 grain.
See Punnett 30-06 page 366. apparently made for Frankford Arsenal around 1945.

René[/quote]

Awesome! For some reason I like plastic dummies.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]…(Ord Bomb) US FA (Ord Bomb) 1906-56

There is also what I think is a loaded round, with normal bullet, brass case, and brass primer cup. I have never pulled the bullet to see if there is powder in it, and will not pull it, but I don’t think FA would make a dummy that looks so much like a lethal cartridge, even for commemoration. The headstamp is the same as shown above.[/quote]

John

That is a special Cal .30 Match cartridge that was manufactured by F.A., to be distributed for testing by selected shooters and teams at the 1956 National Matches at Camp Perry. It was developed as a result of a general dissatisfaction with the accuracy of the “match” ammunition issued at the 1953 - 1955 matches. It used the 172 grain M1 Type bullet, and led to the T291 Match cartridge in 1957, followed by the standardized M72 Match in 1958.

They are not too common.

Ray

P.S. - I believe the loaded cartridges were also given away as souvenirs, along with the chrome-plated dummies.

Ray

Ray - Thank you for the info. I suspect mine was one of the ones given away as souvenirs, since it has no hint of a primer seal. It is also without the ring around the primer on the case head, which being a match round, I guess is a chamfering of the edge of the primer pocket, rather than a primer crimp???

John

It’s a primer crimp. In 1956 it was still standard war-time practice to crimp primers since the pockets were formed in one step. Starting in 1957 the old pre-war two-draw process was initiated for the T291 Match cases, eliminating the need for a crimp and facilitating re-loading of the cases.

Ray

not 100% the subject but maybe interesting anyway . . .

These were made by a company in the UK called Lines Bros. during WW2. They were made from the same alloy used to cast toy cars.

[quote=“Falcon”][quote=“RichT”]
I also have 2 that look like a type of cast alloy possible aluminium, very dull in colour. they have 2 long deep flutes that look like they have been machined in after casting, both are hollow one has rounded over edges at the bottom and around the primer hole/hollow centre and the other has been left square. no headstamps at all.
[/quote]

These were made by a company in the UK called Lines Bros. during WW2. They were made from the same alloy used to cast toy cars.[/quote]

Hi Falcon,

very interesting. This is the first time I read the name of the manufacturer.
Do you have any documents proofing this

Thanks
René

It was Tony Edwards who told me this, he knows a lot more about it than I do.

René
Lines Bros. also made .45 M-1911 & 9mm Para dummies & Tony apparently just lived down the road from them, so 1st hand documentation, at hand.

There also exists an slightly over size .50 BMG but made of poor quality pot-metal & all I know of are cracking/spliting. However no one knows who’s the maker of them.

I think the 06, 45 & 9 are made with a different materiel mix, or perhaps it just that they are not as big? But they all look “pot-metalish” to me, for whatever that’s worth.

All,

Here are a few from my collection:

From Left to Right:

FA 18 with armor piercing bullet. Plated brass case with 3 holes

WRACo 18 with blackened brass case and 2 small holes

FA 29 plated brass case and bullet. Wood insert, 4 holes and 4 heavy neck crimps

FA 29 red wood running full length, brass case, with 4 holes

R . A 40 Plated brass case with 3 green filled flutes

Am I correct in thinking that four case holes are a definite indication of British manufacture rather than US? I have a variety of .30-06 dummies with US headstamps but as they have four case holes (two high & two low) I have concluded that they are British manufacture.