American Cartridge and Ammunition Co. Hartford, Conn

Anyone one have any background on this co.? It appears they started in 1901 on Pearl St. & where aquired by Marlin around 1904.

Did they produe any cartridges ?

Marlin did not go into the ammo business, who would they have sold the ammo mfg. equipment to ?

Scott

The IAA JOURNAL Directory lists at least 4 different articles for the American Cartridge & Ammunition Co. I’d start with them.

Ray

Some visitors may not be familiar with the main IAA site at
http://cartridgecollectors.org/

The cumulative index to the IAA’s 60+ years of outstanding Journals can be downloaded and saved for future use from
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=IAA-journal-cumulative-index

And, IAA members can purchase a complete digital set of IAA Journals for a very modest price to take full advantage of all the great information in them, easily researched using the cumulative index above. Or, you have bed time reading for a couple of years if you want to start at Journal 1 and work your way up to date.

This box shows a New York location but I assume it is the same company.

Rich

The JOURNAL index shows 7 articles for the American Metallic Cartridge Co., so I assume they are different??

Ray

Scott, this company was established in Hartford on August 15, 1901 and is known to have produced rare 12 ga. shotshells headstamped 12 AM.C.&A.CO. GA * Nº 40 * and 12 AM.C.&A.CO. GA * Nº 45 *. On April 12, 1904 the Marlin Fire Arms Co. announced that it has acquired the plant of this company, began the removal of the machinery, and was “about to begin the manufacture of ammunition” or “begin the manufacture of cartridges of all kinds” (depending on source). The American Cartridge & Ammunition Co. formaly ceased to exist on February 16, 1906.

The American Metallic Cartridge Co. is not related to this company.

Thanks for the replies.

I did find in a Journal back issue (Ray pointed these out) a mention of A.C. & A.Co., & the question asked then is the same as now.

Marlin never produced ammunition, so where did the machinery go ?

I will admit that shotshells are not even close to my strong suit.
Can anyone think of a company that expanded or started mfg. of shotshells circa 1904 ? That may explain where the machinery went.
Given this took place in the era of the AMA, was Marlin’s purchase possibly a “straw man” deal ??

In 1914 Marlin was assigned a patent for shotshells, yet they where not producing any.
Was this another “straw man” deal ??
The AMA was dead after 1907, so it doesn’t make sense on the surface.

Brophy’s book on Marlin mentions both the purchase of A.C. & A. Co., and the patent and then lets it go with no follow up.

Rich,

According to “The Rimfire Cartridge in the United States & Canada by John Barber, 1987”, on page 66, that is a American Metallic Cartridge Company of South Coventry, CT box.

Joe

Joe, Barber’s book made a mistake regarding this box because this American Metallic Cartridge Company of New York was not the American Metallic Cartridge Company of South Coventry, and in fact it wasn’t even a real incorporated company. This was an ammunition company name used by Merwin, Hulbert & Co. of New York and made by Phoenix Metallic Cartridge Co. of South Coventry. It was used as early as 1883, which is years before AMC of South Coventry was incorporated (1891).

I am learning that everyone likes to shoot Barber’s book full of holes. I do not think I will reference it any more to save ridicule. At the time of publication Kass, Engel and Hoyem all praised it. I wish someone would publish a better reference on Rimfire Cartridge manufacturing of the United States, Canada and possibly elsewhere.

Joe

Joe, in my opinion Barber’s book is a great reference for anyone interested in rimfires and the companies who made them, but every book needs to be corrected and amended sooner or later because new information shows up every day.

I second Fede’s opinion. In the internet age, the acquisition of information (right or wrong) is a lot easier than when Barber wrote his book.

Yes, I just had one of the agreed upon two leading rimfire collectors in the States generously call me and educate me for a half hour on Barber’s book. I think I will shelf it and get Chuck Suydam’s book in the meantime until this fellow finishes and publishes his new book backed up by in hand documentation.

Live and learn,

Joe

PS: Not mentioning names, as the fellow does not need to be bombarded by inquires. It will be at least a year before publication.