Ammo at RI Auction

rockislandauction.com/search/aid/61

This weekend Rock Island Auction had a few lots of ammo in their premier auction.
Lot #1543 for 2 boxes of DWM 7.65mm Para sold for $1600.US + the buyers premium, as high as 20% depending on how you pay. Good pictures of the labels on these lots.
Lot #1572 10 Japanese heavy Machine gun feed strips just barely made half the low estimate at the hammer price of $475 +premium.
Lot # 3231 was 5 boxes of UMC 45-70 ammo in a wood shipping crate. Hammer price of $700.
Lot # 1559, While not cartridges, is a pretty interesting Type 14 Nambu pistol. An arsenal pressure test pistol. I remember reading an article by John Moss many years ago on Nambu’s and thought he might know something of this particular pistol. Hammer price was $10,000 +premium.

Lot 1543 was not 9mm. my error. 7.65 mm. sorry

Sportclay, You got my attention. When I got to the the website I realized they were 7.65mm Parabellum ammunition not 9mm.

Beautiful boxes-and two lots of two boxes each, #1543 that you referenced and #1530. From the photos all four boxes appeared identical except for condition. These must be very early boxes because I have never seen DWM 9mm Parabellum in this style red box. Perhaps someone else has!

Thanks for getting my blood flowing this morning.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew - I can’t seem to get the boxes on the given website to come up, and I don’t have the patience or time to go through his whole list looking for them. If the red box was from the Sturgess collection (I don’t recall which auction house is handling his stuff) and it is the label I am thinking about, he must have found one after he did his book, as the one in the book is my photograph of my box, which is empty. (Page 1462, Volume III, first box label pictured on top-left of page). It is the earliest known DWM box for 7.65 Para and perhaps was never used with the 9 mm Para.

I won’t comment on the price brought in the auction, except to say it is the price I paid for my first car, a 1960 VW bug.

rockislandauction.com/viewit … 1/lid/1543
John,
try this link.

Sportclay - that worked fine. Those are the same as my box. I thought mine came empty, but it had one round with it. I found a note in my old collection catalog indicating a round in my collection came from that box. I probably should just leave rounds like that in the box, but I have always kind of kept my box collection as a separate entity to my cartridge collection, because for me,
the boxes are actually part of my library because of the information they often carry on the labels. Admittedly, I collect any auto pistol box, even if the information on it is useless to me, or even some boxes which are absolutely plain.

About that pressure test Type 14 Japanese pistol. I have seen one in the MacCleary Nambu collection years and years ago. Mac is long departed from us and I don’t even know for sure what happened to his collection, although I have my hunches. I can’t tell you much about it because I never really researched it. My article was more concerned with guns that the average guy might run into, and I felt the pressure-test guns were pretty much beyond that class. I am not even sure of what the cartridge they used looked like - that is, was it like a lot of copper-crush rounds with an alignment slot cut in the head and a largem usually covered hole in the case the diameter of the copper pellet to be crushed.

The wonderful book on Japanese handguns, “Japanese Hand Cannons,” and the volume that updated it, have some information on it. If you wish, I could scan the appropriate pages and send them to you by email. I don’t recall how much there is, but I am sure I saw a picture of one of the guns in the book.

I was curious also about the indexed round used in the pressure gun. I was a bit surprised at the price that the 2 boxes of 7.65 para brought. there were several bidders.