Ammo book question

In a movie “Shooter” imdb.com/title/tt0822854/ the main character goes to a top notch ammunition expert with a question. The expert has a red leather spine book about ammo written by either Chauffel or Schoffel (don’t know the spelling). There is a chapter in the book shown on the screen called “Altering bullets for various effects” with a lead headline “Paper patching”. Does this book really exit?

It’s a fictitious book with a fake author name. This, according to many internet forum posts of people who have looked into this, and the fact that there is no book by that author regarding ammo or paper-ptching a far as I can find. Hollywood makes it look like a real book in the movie of course.

So the idea of “paper patching”, which is firing a bullet through rifle#1, then re-loading this bullet with a paper wrapped around it and firing it through rifle#2 to make it look like rifle#1 hit the target, is also made up? It sounded very iffy to me, but I decided to ask.

Any type of sub-caliber bullet with a sabot would accomplish the same thing. Not such a big mystery, but great for Hollywood drama.

Schuetzen shooters paper patch undersized lead bullets, using the paper as a jacket that [color=#0000BF]increases[/color] the bullet’s diameter.

The increase in bullet diameter(from the fictional paper patch) would require shooter #2 to have a different caliber rifle than shooter #1.

Read the book.
Point of Impact – 1993
"Shooter" is a pure Hollywood movie using only a few lines from the original book.

Stephen Hunter is quite inconsistent in his research on firearms and shooting .
He has talked a lot to at least one actual “shooter” in his research and it shows in his writing but then he misses other rather important details.

He is a good author but writes from his research not actually doing this stuff.

7.62 M948 SLAP was being produced along with Remington accelerators at that time.
7,62 mm Sk Ptr 10 PRICK was ordered for the Swedish military in 1998.

I am surprised that the .50 cal Slap cartridge was not used in the movie Sniper - it’s Hollywood !

The truth is stranger than fiction.

Glenn

The photo shows the late GYSGT Carlos Hathcock, USMC (ret), who has been the inspiration for many sniper characters in entertainment.

Hathcock made 93 confirmed kills in Vietnam, mostly with .30-06 rifles but also with a scope mounted .50 BMG. Hathcock was a fine gentleman, and an avid competitive shooter as well as a sniper. He was a true hero, and was awarded the Silver Star for rescuing personnel in an armored vehicle fire. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor, for his deeds, but that was never approved. And, he was a heck of a nice guy, very humble and unassuming.