Ammo Can (Box) M19A1 with Interesting Stencil & Unknown Makers Mark

I was fortunate enough to find this ammo box (can) at a local Rod & Gun swap meet,

Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant, Cal .30 Ball M2 linked “FOR GUN FUNCITON ONLY”.
I suspect the ammunition packed in this can was loaded to very exact standards and was used in house to routinely check gun function & sighting for MGs used in testing samples of ammunition taken from daily production.

The manufactures mark is stamped into metal below the lid closer: “OSH. STPG. CO.” I checked MIL-HDBK-1461A (Manufacturers & abbreviations) and a listing of ammunition can makers but I cannot find this maker listed.

Can%202%20
Can%206

Can anyone identify the manufacturer “OSH. STPG. CO.” ?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, nice box! Not saying you are wrong but what was the official US designation for ballistic standard or reference loads?

Could it also be that the cartridges in this box were loaded with otherwise unserviceable (as for external ballistics) projectiles?
And as inner ballistics are not touched by this issue these projectiles were good enough for gun functioning tests? Back in WW2 one would assume lots of ammo was needed for these purposes and projectiles not passing QA were put to use this way maybe - saving combat worthy projectiles?

Looking at the box I understand it is not a WW2 product.

But think my remarks above remain valid as for the use of QA rejected projectiles.

Alex,

Interesting point and one that I cannot answer, hopefully others will chime in and provide an answer.

Brian

U.S. Ordinance classification “Gun Functioning” is for ammunition that is comprised of second-class components and or rounds with minor visual defects. The ammunition was kept at the Ordinance facilities for testing weapons and not released for general usage.

I do not know the maker of the metal ammunition box.

Joe

Joe & Alex,

Thanks to both of you for the clarification on gun functioning ammunition.

Brian

Brian, great box, thanks for sharing.

The manufacturer is Oshkosh Stamping Co. of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, who in June 1951 signed a contract with the Army for the manufacture of 392,000 ammunition boxes (they also made toilet articles for the armed forces). However, they failed to meet the delivery schedule and the contract was terminated the following year. In June 1953, part of the remaning stock of these boxes was destroyed by a fire ocurred in the paint room. Later, in 1958, they were sued by the Government due to non-compliance of the contract.

Regards,

Fede

Fede beat me to it (of course with more precise info) but I live 40 miles north of Oshkosh, WI. Cool local keepsake Area better known for Oshkosh b’Gosh overall blue jeans

Fede,

Great info!!! Simply amazing how you keep coming up with the most obscure info.

Thanks,

Brian