Ammo crate codes

Help! I have misplaced my list of the alpha-numeric codes that were stamped on small arms wooden crates and metal spam cans during WWII and Korea. For example, on one of the crates that I have for WWII shotshell ammo, the code is: T3AWD. Another, for dummy 30-06 training rounds is: T1VAE. If anyone has a list or can forward a link, I would be most grateful. Thanks, Al Hirschler in freezing cold Dallas.

Here are some examples from my collection:

T3WAD 360 CARTRIDGES SHOTGUN 12 GAGE IN CARTONS
NO. 4 CHILLED SHOT
T1VAE 960 CARTRIDGES CAL. .30 IN CLIPS IN CARTONS
DUMMY M1906 FOR USE IN RIFLES
T2VAC 600 CARTRIDGES CAL. .45 DUMMY M1921 IN CARTONS
TAEAB 384 CARTRIDGES CAL .30 IN 8 RD CLIPS BANDOLEERS
APM2 (Korean War era with a change in the second symbol)
This one is from DennisK:
T3ABD 675 ROUNDS 12 GAGE NO. 00

Thanks to DennisK for forwarding info on these definitions from another source.

The first symbol: Is the letter that indicates the Standard Nomenclature List, in this case ’T’, small arms ammunition that this ammo is ordered from.

The second symbol: The ‘A’ (instead of a 1) indicates the post 1948 AICs which I am not sure of, however I believe it indicates SA Ammo, that is ammo of less than 30mm. For many years 20mm weapons were considered Small Arms. When I went thru Aberdeen as a SA Repairman (45B20) in 1967, our training included the HS 20mm Cannon mounted on the M114, no not the M113 the M114, different track.

The third symbol: indicates the caliber, type, and model of weapon in which the ammunition is used. In this case an ’E’, which indicates, Cal,.30 Rifles ’03 and Machine Guns. For another example: if this letter had been a ’C’ it would have been ammo for the Carbine.

The forth symbol; indicates the type and model of the projectile, round or item concerned. In this case an ’A’, which indicates AP M2.

The fifth symbol: indicates the kind or method of packing. In this case a ’B’, which is, 8 rd clips in bandoleers and in boxes.

Please share yours! Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

Poached from SKSVLAD’s post of January 30th:

T2AAF 1200 CARTRIDGES CAL .45 IN CARTONS
BALL M1911

T3AGD 675 SHELLS, SHOTGUN 12 GAGE
No. 5 CHILLED SHOT
IN 27 CARTONS
LOT FCC1386

T1CAF 3450 CARTRIDGES CAL…30
CARBINE M1
IN CARTONS
Lot PC 26379

T1CAZ-5 800 CARTRIDGES
CAL…30 CARBINE
BALL M1
IN CARTONS
LOT LC 12910
[same T1CAZ-5 markings used on both the 800 round spam cans, and on the gray 20mm size can holding 6 of the spam cans]

TAEPA 1040 CARTRIDGES CAL…30
TRACER M25
IN CARTONS
LOT SL 7167 (Wood crate with two 620 round spam cans. Cans are NOT marked with the TAEPA code.)

Another highjacking—from schneider’s post of 11-3-10.

TACAL 1200 CARTRIDGES CAL .30 CARBINE IN 10 RD CLIPS BANDOLEERS
BALL M1

TAEGA 384 CARTRIDGES CAL .30 IN 8 RD CLIPS BANDOLEERS
BALL AN-M2

Found in the dump a few years back and just HAD to get scrounged…from 1953…

R1NDA (2) Cartridges, 75mm Rifles, HEP-T

Hi! I am looking for an index that lists all the AIC information. I know the basics as listed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S.Army_munitions_by_supply_catalog_designation#Sub-Group_R2(Projectiles_and_separate-loading_propelling_charges_for_medium_field_artillery,_including_complete_round_data)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to find something that specifies what every letter/number means for each of the 5 spots. Thanks!

Cheetor7,
If you want to trust me with an email address, I will send you a copy of the list I have been compiling. I think it will have limited interest here, and I wouldn’t know how to post the whole thing anyway, but I can send it to you.
Either PM me or email TabertoysatAOLdotcom.

Taber