Ammo pictures for catalog purposes?

I was thinking that since I am new to the hobby and still have relatively few cartridges, I could either scan or photograph my cartridges so that I have an image to go with the info on my spreadsheet. Doing this takes some time, but I figure I’m better off doing it now (and then continuing as I acquire cartridges) instead of trying to do it after I have hundreds of cartridges.

Do you think this is a good idea, or just a waste of time?

Hey Rich

Having just acquired MSelect, ECRA Caliber Data Viewer and Headstamp Manager, I submit these would resolve the issue for you without too much input, time or effort on your part. As you acquire new specimens, you can utilize the included photos or add your own. And see what you’re missing and HAVE to get. They ain’t cheap, but for those with the inner need to organize, I don’t know of anything better.

Rick

If you want to have a picture of all your cartridges, definitely start while your collection is relatively small. Don

Rich–Unless there is something unique to a particler cartridge, I would think one picture of the profile of, say, a .30-06 Ball would suffice. Then just do the headstamps for all the ball loads. Sure would save a lot of scanning time or camera time. If you wanted an individual side view for each listed headstamp, just use “COPY” for the generic round. After all, except for the headstamp, if you have seen one .30-06 Ball you have seen them all.

I don’t know Ron.
These are REM-UMC only and I presume there is still a lot to go for . . [color=red]:o)[/color]

cheers
Ren

I would certainly recommend photographing/scanning your cartridges while your collection is small. I just finished entering my collection in a database and later this summer I will be starting to photograph everything for both the database and a web site. While my collection is fairly small, I am really not looking forward to taking all those photos!

I’m not sure what photographic equipment you have, but here’s a link to a cheap DIY photo copy stand made from PVC pipe:

http://www.csigizmos.com/products/photography/photostand.html

I’ve bought the components but haven’t assembled it yet so I can’t comment on how sturdy it is or how well it works. Still, $10 worth of PVC beats spending a couple hundred on a real copy stand!

Thanks for the replies.

The MSelect program is a little (well, a lot) pricey for me right now. I read up on it and it sure seems to fit the bill though.

I think I’m going to go ahead and scan the cartridges. Probably headstamps only, with one general image of the cartridge length, as Ron suggested. HSTs are easy since I can scan a bunch all at once then copy and crop.

Rene–I agree there are LOTS of variation worthy of seperate side views within any given case type. But I think you missed a little part of what I said. I said
"if you have seen one .30-06 [color=blue]Ball[/color] you have seen them all." referring to the FMJ Military Ball load. From the side a FA 43 Ball and a WCC 56 look the same.

Rich–a couple of hints when scanning the headstamps. 1) I suggest you use 300 dpi. and then reduce the image to the size you want in your database.
2) to make alignment easy so you don’t have your headstamps rotated every which way, put a little spot of marker on the edge of the rim or side of the case aligned with the top of the headstamp, It makes it easy to line them all up together when you scan a bunch at a time. It is a lot easier than trying to hold the cartridge and turn it over correctly. At least when I do that I always seem to set it down off center. Be sure to use a marker that is easily wiped off.

Ron, I know exactly what you mean and that’s why I put up the picture.
just kidding.

cheers
Ren