Ammo sales bill in front of congress

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.142:

something for us to think about & fight.

Another piece of “feel good” legislation that is going nowhere (I hope).

I’m waiting for them to start a “buy back” program for ammunition. Turn in your ammo and get $1 for each round surrendered. My RCBS press will be working overtime. I’ll be rich!

Ray

Thanks, Pete. Wading through the gobbledygook of the legalistic wording of the bill, with all the “replace this with that,” and “insert this in addition to that,” and so forth is painful. Here’s a summary of what the House and identical Senate bills say:

"H.R.142
Latest Title: Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2013
Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn [NY-4] (introduced 1/3/2013) Cosponsors (31)
Related Bills: S.35
Latest Major Action: 1/25/2013 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, And Investigations.

SUMMARY AS OF:
1/3/2013–Introduced.

Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2013 - Amends the federal criminal code to require the licensing of ammunition dealers.

Prohibits any person except a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from: (1) selling ammunition, with an exception for a sale of ammunition to a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer; or (2) engaging in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, from shipping, transporting, or receiving ammunition. Prohibits a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from: (1) transferring ammunition to a person without verifying the person’s identity by examining a valid identification document containing a photograph of such person; or (2) selling or delivering any ammunition (currently, any armor-piercing ammunition) to any person unless the licensee notes in his records the person’s name, age, and place of residence, if the person is an individual, or the person’s identity and principal and local places of business, if the person is a business entity.

Applies prohibitions applicable to the shipping or transport of firearms, and record-keeping requirements applicable to the importation, production, shipment, receipt, sale, or other disposition of firearms, to ammunition.

Requires each licensee to: (1) prepare a report of multiple sales or other dispositions whenever the licensee sells or otherwise disposes of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to an unlicensed person at one time or during any five consecutive business days; and (2) forward such report to the specified office and to the department of state police, the state law enforcement agency, or the local law enforcement agency of the jurisdiction in which the sale took place by the close of business on the day the multiple sale occurs."

If this bill passes as is and becomes law, the IAA and legal cartridge collecting are dead.

Face to face was introduced here at the same time as the handgun ban. Our first reaction was no big deal I can live with that. The truth is it strangles off the small dealers who cannot supply the diverse needs of a small community. It was a slow death, its still going on. Don’t underestimate the little measures.

McCarthy is a nightmare. Has she ever done anything for the State of NY other than rabidly attack anything (and everything) gun or ammo related??? She makes ignorant and wild attempts to ban whatever she has been told is a problem, whether she knows what she’s talking about or not.

An amusing little piece with her:
youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

I watched the tape referenced on Jon’s answer. I prepared a response to it, but decided it would get me thrown off of the Forum, something I know for a fact I have been close to before.

IAA, one of these days, is going to have to get involved and into the fight. The time for trying to be as apolitical as possible and play “Mr. Nice Guy” is rapidly coming to a close. While I don’t think this measure will pass, if it does, that thing in the White House will certainly sign it. If it did go thru, Mel’s evaluation is, in my opinion, absolutely correct. It will end almost over night cartridge collecting, and in the interim destroy whatever value for the collector their cartridge holdings might have, since they could not sell them except to dealers, and with cartridge collecting dead, who is going to pay big money for all of those rare cartridges we have paid hundreds of dollars for, for which there are few or no guns. IAA and our various other State Associations will cease to exist very quickly, as there will no longer be any point to them.

O.K. I will keep my mouth shut as long as I can after this, but it is getting harder and harder
not to “vigorously” answer the moronic mutterings of our “leaders” such as that idiotic woman from New York. By the way, there was a great thing in a Czech newspaper about our current Government, that had the ring of truth to it. I deleted it, which I should not have, but it basically said don’t blame the elected officials for the destruction they are bringing upon our nation; blame the people who voted for them." Really true. I guess it hurts to admit that half
of the population of the US, roughly, are ignorant in the extreme, with a good percentage of those being downright stupid!

Thanks for the heads up. I sent off an email to my Congressman, largely just informing him of the existance of the IAA, including the website. It might be wise for us all here in the US to make sure our represenatives understand that our hobby even exist and what we are all about. Just a thought.