Ammoarcheology

I got bored, so I took a mine detector and my daughter to Goose Pond State Park, Chester, New York a couple of minutes from my house. The park was formed in 1960 and people who lived there were kicked out and their homes razed. I hoped for some old coins. I found an unknown stone structure resembling a bridge support and made my 1st find, a “W.R.A. CO 30 W.C.F.” cartridge. Then came an old nail, and then “XTRA-RANGE No.12 JC HIGGINS”. I know, you/ve hoped I’d find a huge pot of Roman gold and buy Bill’s collection. Maybe next time…

3 Likes

Cool!
In several months of looking with a metal detector, I found some nails and 54 cent in fairly recent coins! Yahoo!

2 Likes

Nice!
Found this one two weeks ago

A very nice and old German headstamp.
Very pleased with it because it is a seldom found headstamp, let alone the complete shotshell.

3 Likes

You are blessed with your daughter enjoying what you do. Enjoy it

2 Likes

You’ve got to be down south, it’s still snowing here.

1 Like

I have an August.Stukenbrok Pirschbuchsen system Mauser. combination gun. I don’t believe that Stukenbrok actually made the rifle/shotgun as they seem to have been a large supplier of all sort of hunting and shooting equipment, ammo, clothing and accessories. They certainly had a large facility if the picture on their catalog was any indication of reality. Did they actually make ammo or was it outsourced? I would love to find a shotshell with that head stamp to go with the gun.

1 Like

You are correct.
They didn’t make their own things, they were just a big wholesaler like Franconia or kettner

Nice gun!

Regards rené

We took another shot at ammoarcheology at Stirling Forest State Park near Tuxedo,NY (birthplace of tuxedos you wear). We found another old smelter furnace. The area around was oversaturated with metal rich slag. We found an old ammo box, a 50’s car and remnants of a very old house. And thousands of ticks. No actual ammo.

Those taillight rims look like they belong on an early sixties Ford Falcon.

1 Like